Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Joint bank accounts - if your european?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question Joint bank accounts - if your european?

Advertisements
    Im really not sure if this is the correct forum but i'll ask anyway..............

My husband wants to put me on his bank account (im moving to Germnay to be with him and he wants me to be able to help myself) but as im British and I have no social security number can he put me on??
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    He should be able to. Do you have your old social security number from before when you work in the states. How long has it been since you last use it. I know when carlos and i got married i had my social security number from working there and just use it for the bank account even though i did not have a greencard. they actually offer me when i got my greencard whether i wanted my old social security number and i told them yes because i had memorize it. but check with the bank and see what they think...if it's USAA then they should be a bit more flexible and maybe will accept your passport number as identification.
  3. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Have him talk to a representative at the bank. I tried googling for an answer but couldn't find one

Okay wait, I found some:

I got added to my wife's account (Bank of America) without a SSN, and provided first an ITIN and then the SSN when I got them.

(You can't get an ITIN these days unless you file a tax return with your request. The IRS doesn't like it being used as an ID number.)

and

When I worked at Bank of America we had no problems opening accounts for foreign nationals. They were also able to easily get a secured credit card that converts to a regular credit card after about 6 months. You can also easily (if expensively) get checks sent out denominated in CAD from your account. This may not be very helpful for you as I think there are no Bank of America locations in Louisiana (they had to bring mobile branches in to help post-Katrina, IIRC). If you want the phone number of a branch (in Massachusetts) that dealt with this all the time let me know.

and

Re. the TIN:

"(The) IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN)..."

If memory serves, that means: not you. Legal claim to residency makes you eligible for a SSN, and thus not for a TIN. I think.

and

a) You can get an ITIN, as ilsa says above, and use that wherever an SSN is asked for.
    b) You can and should keep your Canadian accounts open. Just use your Canadian ATM card, withdraw money directly from your Canadian account. What's the problem? The bank will do the conversion transparently. Inquire about how to make deposits by mail.
    c) Similarly, keep your Canadian credit card. Use it. Pay the bill via your bank's website.
    d) If you really insist on getting a U.S. bank account, the ITIN should work.
    e) If you really insist on getting a U.S. credit card, you can always get a secured one: deposit $1000 into an account, get a card with a hard $1000 limit. If you withdraw the money, the card is cancelled. If you don't pay on the card, the bank pays itself by withdrawing money from the account.

There's really no reason for you to have a U.S. account. By your description, you're a tourist. Would you open an account in France if you visited there for a few weeks?

and

You will have a hard time getting your own bank account or credit card. However, you can be an authorized user on your spouse's accounts, which is good enough for day-to-day use

Those were answers specific to a Canadian's request but I think a lot of that would apply to anyone and it sure looks like Bank of America is the most foreign friendly out there!! I know a lot of people gripe about BoA but we use BoA and (knock on wood!) we've not had any problems.
  4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    OOoo! OOOooo! I found this too!! http://www.fairloanrate.com/2009/03/...ty-number-ssn/

I am such a good helper!!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I wasn't able to until I had a SS no (we're with USAA). I've heard of others being able to be put on their spouse's accounts through their passport number etc so it's worth a try.
  6. Senior Member
    It goes fast to get a SSN, I think our lawyer said they HAD to get it to you within 3 months. I got it 3 weeks after filing. We waited until I had my SSN because it just made it easier. I used my card from Sweden and we just made sure to send money there for the month and half it lasted.

To get your first CC, once you are on his account, go to USAA ONLINE, not calling, because there they ask for household income and not your personal income. Thats how I got my first $500 CC and then I used that and paid it of every month. After 1.5 years I now have 780, not perfect but I am getting there.
  7. Junior Member
    I wasn't able to get added to my husbands account without a SSN - but it depends on the bank and there are some people who were added to a BOA account without one. I'm not sure how it works if you are overseas though and without any US visa or greencard.