Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Loans...

  1. *boink*
    Ellie's Avatar
    Ellie is offline
    *boink*
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,620
    #1

    Confused Loans...

    Advertisements
    when me and DF move in together in florida, it's gonna be kinda hard finacially for us, and he wants to take out a loan to help that.

    I don't want a loan, i'd rather struggle for a few weeks then have money that we need to pay off later down the line, y'know?

    I don't really know what i'm asking here, but has anyone got any budgeting strategies/tips/plans that i could show to DF that would mean we would be able to cope with little money without taking out a loan?
  2. Account Closed
    carolinagirll's Avatar
    carolinagirll is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,823
    #2
    I would sit down now.

    Write down all your bills and utilities...

    if you have credit cards look at interest rates.

    We do this EVERY paycheck my husband has to visually see our bills bc me telling him it just does not register. I think a loan would be a last resort but you will not know until you look at all your bills combined.
  3. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    mraynee88's Avatar
    mraynee88 is offline
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    5,891
    #3
    I understand where you're coming from. If you're uncomfortable taking out a loan then talk to him about it.

    I work at a loan place. We give out small, personal loans. Our interest rates are fairly high... but we work with people who have bad or no credit. We deal with strictly military members. Not all loan places are bad, they can help build your credit, and if you can't afford what you need to at first, then I don't think it's too bad of an idea.
  4. *boink*
    Ellie's Avatar
    Ellie is offline
    *boink*
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,620
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagirll View Post
    I would sit down now.

    Write down all your bills and utilities...

    if you have credit cards look at interest rates.

    We do this EVERY paycheck my husband has to visually see our bills bc me telling him it just does not register. I think a loan would be a last resort but you will not know until you look at all your bills combined.
    Right now we don't have any bills because he's living in a dorm on base, and i'm with my parents in england, t's only in a couple of weeks when i go out there that we'll have an apartment and things to pay, but i like this idea for when we do have to deal with it.
    Also, we don't have any credit cards, he has an emergency credit card but his parents pay that.

    Should i sit him down and do this with estimates?? It'd be good to see where we would be standing.
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Victoria's Avatar
    Victoria is offline
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,347
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    when me and DF move in together in florida, it's gonna be kinda hard finacially for us, and he wants to take out a loan to help that.

    I don't want a loan, i'd rather struggle for a few weeks then have money that we need to pay off later down the line, y'know?

    I don't really know what i'm asking here, but has anyone got any budgeting strategies/tips/plans that i could show to DF that would mean we would be able to cope with little money without taking out a loan?
    I don't see why the need for a loan if both you and he are doing ok NOW...

    IMO, I would NOT take out a personal loan. What I would do is start selling off what I don't need. Condensing what I don't have. Consolidating bills.

    If I need to sacrifice cable TV...I will do that! If I need to sacrifice my cell phone, I will do that! If I need to resort to having dial-up internet versus cable internet...I will do that!

    Have you taken into account the raises he receives?!? If you need to, have him visit the NMCRS for a budgetting class!

    If you two are doing ok now, then why the need to move-in together, only to have to resort to loans just to get by?!?

    Personally, I would NOT move in with someone if that will put me into a financial hardship.
  6. *boink*
    Ellie's Avatar
    Ellie is offline
    *boink*
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,620
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynee88 View Post
    I understand where you're coming from. If you're uncomfortable taking out a loan then talk to him about it.

    I work at a loan place. We give out small, personal loans. Our interest rates are fairly high... but we work with people who have bad or no credit. We deal with strictly military members. Not all loan places are bad, they can help build your credit, and if you can't afford what you need to at first, then I don't think it's too bad of an idea.
    I have mentioned it too him His parents have offered to lend him money till we get on our feet, but he says he'd rather get alone. I'd just rather struggle for a few weeks, and then have money from his paycheck going to us and bills. than have his paycheck go to bills and debt, my parents took out alot of loans and my mother is only just getting out of debt now, i don't want that to happen to us, y'know?
  7. Senior Member
    ArmyCupcake's Avatar
    ArmyCupcake is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,076
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Right now we don't have any bills because he's living in a dorm on base, and i'm with my parents in england, t's only in a couple of weeks when i go out there that we'll have an apartment and things to pay, but i like this idea for when we do have to deal with it.
    Also, we don't have any credit cards, he has an emergency credit card but his parents pay that.

    Should i sit him down and do this with estimates?? It'd be good to see where we would be standing.
    If you both don't have credit cards would you even be able to get a loan? If you were the interest rate would be soooo high.
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Victoria's Avatar
    Victoria is offline
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,347
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Right now we don't have any bills because he's living in a dorm on base, and i'm with my parents in england, t's only in a couple of weeks when i go out there that we'll have an apartment and things to pay, but i like this idea for when we do have to deal with it.
    Also, we don't have any credit cards, he has an emergency credit card but his parents pay that.

    Should i sit him down and do this with estimates?? It'd be good to see where we would be standing.
    From what you're posting here, IMO, you should have NOTHING to worry about.

    You don't have ANY bills, so why take out a loan.

    When you two get married, he will the collect BAH or you two can live in housing. Housing, utilities, water. You'll basically be in the SAME position, that you're in now...
  9. *boink*
    Ellie's Avatar
    Ellie is offline
    *boink*
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,620
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I don't see why the need for a loan if both you and he are doing ok NOW...

    IMO, I would NOT take out a personal loan. What I would do is start selling off what I don't need. Condensing what I don't have. Consolidating bills.

    If I need to sacrifice cable TV...I will do that! If I need to sacrifice my cell phone, I will do that! If I need to resort to having dial-up internet versus cable internet...I will do that!

    Have you taken into account the raises he receives?!? If you need to, have him visit the NMCRS for a budgetting class!

    If you two are doing ok now, then why the need to move-in together, only to have to resort to loans just to get by?!?

    Personally, I would NOT move in with someone if that will put me into a financial hardship.
    We are ok now because i live with parents, and he lives in a dorm on base, so neither of us really pay much, i'll be leaving my job to move, so after the plane ticket, downpayment for the apartment, stocking up the fridge and such comes out of our money, we're not really going to have alot.

    We wouldn't need a loan to get by, but we would be struggling a bit at first, he wants to get the loan so we'll be financially comfortable instead.

    We've already decided we're not getting a tv, neither of us watch it so there's no point
  10. Senior Member
    jana's Avatar
    jana is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiesbaden, Germany
    Posts
    3,525
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    From what you're posting here, IMO, you should have NOTHING to worry about.

    You don't have ANY bills, so why take out a loan.

    When you two get married, he will the collect BAH or you two can live in housing. Housing, utilities, water. You'll basically be in the SAME position, that you're in now...
    ~JANA~
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •