Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Student Credit Card?

1. Banned
    Banned

Help Student Credit Card?

Advertisements
    So, I'm looking for a credit card to build my credit. I don't have any credit and I am a student, so I figured a student card would be best, right?
    Does anyone have one? Do you like yours? What kind is it?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have a student credit card through CapitalOne.
    The apr is only 2.9%.

I also have another student credit card through Discover, not sure what the apr is on this one, but it's low like CapitalOne.

I got them to also build my credit, even though I'd love to go on a shopping spree with them....but mom wouldn't love it as much as i did....
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    here is one that helps you build or rebuild your credit https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...tegory_id=2029
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I have a similar question. I TRIED to get a student credit card with both CapitalOne and Discover. They were both intended for students with no credit.
    I freaking got denied. WTF... I have like over 3K in my savings.

So I was don't know how to build credit if they don't give me something to start with.

What I was thinking about doing was taking out a loan with my bank. Opening up a savings account. Putting my loan money in the savings account and then pay the loan back (with the same loan money).

Good plan? Stupid plan? Anyone got a better plan?
  5. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    That's how I started my credit. I went through my bank. That was many years ago though.
    Then once I had that one I opened a Sears CC and would pay it off every month. It worked.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My first card was the Citi mtvU card. The APR is sucky but the reward points are awesome You get 5x points at bookstores, restaurants and stuff plus points for paying on time and your GPA. My limit was $800 in 2005 and it's now $10,500 so it grows with you.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Thanks, all! I didn't even think about capital one, heather. I'll take a look at that next.
  8. NDNatlGuardGF
    NDNatlGuardGF

One thing to make sure of, is to obviously try to get the lowest APR % possible, but if you really want to build your credit, don't charge more than you can afford to pay off completely when you get your next bill. When I first got mine, all I put on it each month was gas and then paid it off. Eventually, I used it more and more, but I still pay it off each month.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I have a citicards Drivers Edge card. The rewards are awesome (money towards a new car if you want!) and the APR is low as long as you pay on time. I've had it since 2003 - my limit has gone from 2,000 to 10,000.