Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pay off debt or save?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Pay off debt or save?

Advertisements
    DH and I have 2 credit cards. I've averaged $300 per pay day to pay both of them off in 6 months. Its deployment time and DH asks me to save and pay those bills off. Are we being smart to pay off all our debt now and save little for the next 6 months?

I always thought that its better to have savings and pay the minimum on the cards. Since the recession and all.
  2. ~M*A*R*I*E~
    ~M*A*R*I*E~
    it really depends on your APR on those credit cards. If they are high (above 10%) and they charge you a finance charge every month, than it would be in your best interest to pay them off, and not use them (at least if you're not paying them off every month) once you have zero credit card debt, then i would save...but if you feel you're paying more than interest on your card payments, then by all mean save and pay off at the same time. Just watch out for those crazy finance charges, they can set you back.
    NO MORE TICKER! THE LOVE OF MY LIFE IS HOME FOR GOOD
  3. Regular Member
    I paid mine off and then saved because of the apr that I had on my credit cards.
  4. Senior Member
    The benefit to deployment is the SCRA...the interests have to go to 6%. Ofcourse you have to notify the creditcard companies of the deployment.
    IMO, I would pay off the creditcards first then save. The longer it takes to pay off a credit card, the more money you spend in the longrun.
    NO MORE TICKER!!! HE"S HOME!!

5. Senior Member
    PAY OFF THE CARDS!!!

Ahhh. You'll occur so much interest from just paying the minimum. Look at that as a type of savings.
    Get yourself out of debt hun. You'll feel so much better.
    Banned
    Pay of the cards!!!! I just watched Suze Ormann on Oprah and she said it's pointless to save money while carrying a balance and paying interest on credit cards.

Her website has a whole bunch of steps on a good way to do it!
  7. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!
    Quote Originally Posted by **Jamie** View Post
    The benefit to deployment is the SCRA...the interests have to go to 6%. Ofcourse you have to notify the creditcard companies of the deployment.
    IMO, I would pay off the creditcards first then save. The longer it takes to pay off a credit card, the more money you spend in the longrun.
    The SCRA only works if the Credit Card was in use PRIOR to MM active duty or activation.

Clarifies and restates existing law that limits to 6 percent interest on credit obligations incurred prior to military service or activation, including credit card debt, for active duty servicemembers. The SCRA unambiguously states that no interest above 6 percent can accrue for credit obligations (that were established prior to active duty or activation) while on active duty, nor can that excess interest become due once the servicemember leaves active duty instead that portion above 6 percent is permanently forgiven. Furthermore, the monthly payment must be reduced by the amount of interest saved during the covered period.

Note: This law only covers debt incurred prior to military service.
    http://www.military.com/benefits/leg.../scra/overview
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  8. Senior Member
    I'd have some kind of emergency fund (we only have 1K in ours) and then work on the credit cards...
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    As long as you have some sort of safety net.. I'd pay off the cards. if you just pay minimum, you'll be paying WAAAAY more than you ever meant to. A 20 dollar pair of shoes could become 100 dollars.

I agree about looking up suze ormann. She is a genius.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    The credit cards must be in the deployed soldiers name in order to get the lower rate. If they are then you'll save money by not paying higher apr but you still owe what is ont he cards. If I was in your shoes I would pay the lowest one off first every dollar counts then out what payment you were making the one you paid off to the larger one along with the normal amount you paid. Don't pay the min. You will lik eothers have said pay too much over all. It's smart to have a back up emergency fund, even 500 for car repairs or tires or what not is a great plan. Saving money right now in banks isnt a good choice because you won't nearly make enough off of interest that you're paying out in credit card interest. You'll figure it out. Good luck.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast