Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Some kind of debit/card card?

1. I Check PerezHilton Before CNN
    I Check PerezHilton Before CNN

Some kind of debit/card card?

Advertisements
    My husband was telling me about something he's heard about to avoid the high fees while deployed and he's not sure if it's a debit or credit card. He mentioned PX and thinks it's the military star card, but it sounds just like a typical credit card to me.

Any ideas? I've tried searching for something else, but I don't even know what to search FOR

Thank you!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    USAA refunds your ATM fees(up to a certain amount per month). DH hasn't been deployed so I'm not sure what fees there are other than ATM and possibly foreign transaction fees.
  3. Junior Member
    You are absolutely correct about the ability to lower your interest rates on some cards while deployed. The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) allows deployed service members to reduce interest rates on previously held debts such as credit cards, car loans, and mortgages. The debts have to be taken out prior to your deployment and they have to be in the deployed servicemember’s name. This means that even if you are married your spouse’s credit cards don’t qualify.

However, some organizations will voluntarily allow those debts to be lowered as well. It doesn’t hurt to ask. The debts that qualify must be lowered to 6% or less. USAA will lower your credit card interest to 4%. In addition, it may be possible to refund the 4% that was charged upon return from deployment. Give USAA a call for the specifics on this one. The bottom line is that you have to call each bank to alert them to the deployment and they may request proof. Check out this link for additional information: http://www.military.com/benefits/leg.../scra/overview .

Rich Lunsford is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM practitioner with USAA Financial Planning Services, one of the USAA family of companies. Rich holds the Series 7 and 66 securities licenses. Rich also holds the designations of Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®), Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU®), and CHARTERED RETIREMENT PLANNING COUNSELOR (CRPC®).

Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. owns the certification marks CFP® and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ in the United States, which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
    Need some money advice? USAA’s Rich Lunsford is here to help. Whether its investment advice, mortgages, college finances or deployments, he’s your money coach for any question you may have so just “Ask Rich!” Click here to submit your question to CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Rich Lunsford or participate in the discussion.
  4. I Check PerezHilton Before CNN
    I Check PerezHilton Before CNN
    Thanks!