Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional life insurance?

1. Senior Member

Additional life insurance?

Advertisements
    Can you tell me if we should get additional life insurance on DH. He is deploying in less than a month. I forget now where I heard of the idea, but someone was telling me it is a good idea. If he were to come home and get out of the military then would it be hard for him to get life insurance if he didn't already have it? Right now he plans on staying in and retiring, but anything could happen in Iraq and if he decided to get out I just wonder how hard getting insured would be.
    Trish & Hubby Home for R&R!! Dec. 2009
  2. New Member
    I don't know very much about Life Insurance, but from when I have purchase it on myself, it asked what kind of dangerous things you do (in the work place, etc). I would think that it would be easier once he is OUT of the military, because then, theoretically, his job would be less dangerous. But honestly, I dunno.

It would be good to get it before he goes though, because as you said...you never know....but I was just addressing which way would be easier to get it...

One True Love
  3. New Member
    Oh, and I would think the best thing to do is call an insurance company and just ask them. They would know better than someone who doesn't deal with insurance very often would.

One True Love
  4. Surviving Our First Deployment
    Surviving Our First Deployment
    my dh is also deploying soon and we are going ahead and getting the additional life insurance through usaa. i think it is a good investment for the 12 months that they are over there. you just never know and i want to make sure that the kids and i are taken care of.
    Wife to an army tanker ~Mommy to 2 great kids and a wild furbaby.

5. Senior Member
    See I figure if I call an insurance company they are going to say yes get it because they want to sell us the insurance.. lol

I was thinking DH would be more of a liablity if he got injured or came home w/ PTSD or something like that. Then he might be harder to get life insurance on if he is diagnosed w/ something like that. He would be seen as a higher risk then. I hope i am explaining that right.
    Trish & Hubby Home for R&R!! Dec. 2009
  6. New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitmommyof4 View Post
    See I figure if I call an insurance company they are going to say yes get it because they want to sell us the insurance.. lol

I was thinking DH would be more of a liablity if he got injured or came home w/ PTSD or something like that. Then he might be harder to get life insurance on if he is diagnosed w/ something like that. He would be seen as a higher risk then. I hope i am explaining that right.
    Yeah, I honestly don't know...that's just what I would think since he would be in a warzone...but that's JMO.

One True Love
  7. ProudArmyWifeD
    You should determine how much life insurance you need by how much you are dependent on that person (your DH in this case) for support.

For instance, I see you have a lot of children and they are young. Especially if you are a SAHM and depend solely on your DH for support, you need to make sure you are going to be well taken care of.

You'll need money for a home, to pay off debts and to support you while you transition and possibly go back to school for a new career or look for a job in your career field. Your kids will need money for school. The last thing you need while grieving is to have to worry about money problems.

Most likely, if you just carry the military life insurance, you would be left struggling should anything happen. There are quite a few good companies that offer insurance to military with no war clause. Military Benefit Association is one of them and AAFMAA is another.

So yes, my suggestion would be to get more insurance. Earlier is better than later.
  8. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    You can get insurance through USAA. We do.
  9. Senior Member
    I would think it would be the opposite. On any insurance App, it is required that you have listed any job or current activity that puts you in danger. Most even have an exclusion for war, so it would be a more expensive premium if you bought it now than after he was out, I think, assuming of course, he isn't injured over there. Injury always rates you up. It couldn't hurt to look in to some pricing if you plan to buy it eventually and just see.

I need to look in to this, I have an insurance license and don't really know which way it would go, I can just assume how it would. I'm not an underwriter.
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mak327 View Post
    I would think it would be the opposite. On any insurance App, it is required that you have listed any job or current activity that puts you in danger. Most even have an exclusion for war, so it would be a more expensive premium if you bought it now than after he was out, I think, assuming of course, he isn't injured over there. Injury always rates you up. It couldn't hurt to look in to some pricing if you plan to buy it eventually and just see.

I need to look in to this, I have an insurance license and don't really know which way it would go, I can just assume how it would. I'm not an underwriter.
    That was what I was going to say so be sure to look for that. I would assume USAA would be different since they cater to the military. I will have to look that up!
    ETA: yes USAA has no "no war clause"
    https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/...itary_benefits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast