Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: irs trouble?

1. He's my sunshine
    He's my sunshine

irs trouble?

Advertisements
    alright i'm going to try to make this as short and painless as possible.

Last year I was waiting for my tax refund and had filed in like February. It was June and I still hadn't received it yet. So I call the IRS and they said it had been cashed in and sent proof of the signature on the back. When I looked at it I immediately recognized that it was not my signature. The big giveaway was how the F and Z were made. So I let the IRS know that it wasn't my signature and they sent me another check which I cashed in. Afterwards they asked me on 3 different occasions to submit proof of both my signature and printing my name which I did.

Today I get a letter saying that I had cashed in 2 checks (both the original check which was not signed by me and the second check they sent me) and that I owe them the second check back and they would continue charging me interest until I paid it in full, which by the way they have already charged me interest with the first letter they sent me.

any ideas on how to go about this? I'm just gonna pay them back anyways so they get off my back, mind you it took them a year to come to this conclusion.

with that said there's a very good chance I'm moving back to my home-country

IRS!
    Wifey to Carlooshoo & annary

2. Senior Member

It sounds like someone didn't bother to look at the signatures. I would dispute it.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    DO you have any proof in writing of your correspondence with them from June of last year?
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Dispute it.

See if you can search this topic on the net see if anyone else is going through this.

IF all else fails hire a Lawyer

Good Luck
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Don't pay for their mistake! You've kept records of everything, yes?
  6. ------------------
    ------------------
    You paying it is admitting guilt. I would fight it!
  7. Junior Member
    I would like to refer you to an independent arm of the IRS itself. The IRS has an office called the Taxpayer Advocate Service. Please check this link. http://www.irs.gov/advocate/article/0,,id=97402,00.html. “The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, who are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels, or who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should.” – quoted from www.irs.gov. This sounds like an ideal place to begin the resolution of the problem. Let me know how it turns out for you and good luck.

Rich Lunsford is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM practitioner with USAA Financial Planning Services, one of the USAA family of companies. Rich holds the Series 7 and 66 securities licenses. Rich also holds the designations of Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®), Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU®), and CHARTERED RETIREMENT PLANNING COUNSELOR (CRPC®).

Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. owns the certification marks CFP® and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ in the United States, which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
    Need some money advice? USAA’s Rich Lunsford is here to help. Whether its investment advice, mortgages, college finances or deployments, he’s your money coach for any question you may have so just “Ask Rich!” Click here to submit your question to CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Rich Lunsford or participate in the discussion.