Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCS after separation

1. Lyndsay. With a 'y'...and an 'a'.
    Lyndsay. With a 'y'...and an 'a'.
    Lv. Percent
    79.7%

Question OCS after separation

Advertisements
    everyone! I've been gone for far too long (again)! I lurk from time to time but came out of 'hiding' because we may be in for a huge change!

Has anyone (or anyone's significant other) went back into the military after separating? More specifically, has anyone gone back in as an officer after separating as enlisted? My husband is looking into doing this and we have lots of questions for the recruiter. I'd love to hear some insight from anyone that has gone through similar situations.

A little back story...my husband did almost 10 years in the navy. He finished his bachelors degree right before getting out. At the time the field he really wanted to do (and what involved his degree) was overmanned and the thought of him deploying with a little one wasn't something we wanted to do...so he got out and has been out for about a year and a half. He's finishing up his masters now in computer science and has been thinking about going back in. He could go in to do exactly what he wanted to crossrate to before getting out...then in 10 years he'd be eligible for retirement. He's mostly interested for the experience that he knows civilian companies look for from prior service members in the field he's in, but we also see the other benefits of him going back.

I know deployment is likely something we'd face if he is selected and are prepared for that...but there's a lot of what-ifs for this whole thing. He goes to talk to a recruiter tomorrow and take an aptitude test...hopefully it goes well!
    Scarlett Jean is almost 3!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lv. Percent
    63.33%

No real advice, but I have heard that going officer without going through an academy or a commissioning program while you're still in is much more difficult. I hope y'all get the answers you're looking for!

And welcome back!
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    23.57%
    We are currently in the same boat!
    I would suggest he talks to an officer recruiter, he will need to take the OAR. That would probably be the first step.

Dh is trying to go back in active, he is reserves now and has a career counselor ao he goes through them for almist everything. He is going to try to go active again even if he has to start out enlisted again (this is not the best path for everyone, but for us it seems to be the best option).

Dh is EN2, manned at 110%.... he has been checking the first of every month for a spot, the one available is for a year senior to him :/
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    80.14%
    Definitely speak with an officer recruiter to understand the process, what's available, and his eligibility (age limits especially). When DB went from E to O the timing worked out that his E contract ended, he graduated college, and shipped to OCS all within a few months. He needed a few waivers though and that took some time. Your DH already has a degree, so that's a step ahead already. In the Marines you don't get to chose your MOS (unless your aviation or law), I'm not sure of the process for the Navy and if you would be guaranteed a certain MOS. Welcome back!
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.45%
    Make sure he talks to an officer recruiter first so that he gets the right information. In the Marines, an enlisted recruiter would immediately have to pass him off to an officer recruiter anyway, but I'm not sure how it works for the other branches.

6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    36.46%
    I think my cousins husband did something like this. He was on ships (can't remember exactly what he was doing) but got out finished his degree went to OCS and is an intel officer. This was several years ago. I have a friend who wanted to fly for the navy we went to the same school together didn't have a commissioning program and is an NFO for the navy through OCS but he didn't serve first.
  7. Lyndsay. With a 'y'...and an 'a'.
    Lyndsay. With a 'y'...and an 'a'.
    Lv. Percent
    79.7%
    Thanks all! As I mentioned, he's speaking to the officer recruiter today (right now, actually ). He's taking an aptitude test too that he's been studying for...that must be the OAR one of you mentioned? Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    No real advice, but I have heard that going officer without going through an academy or a commissioning program while you're still in is much more difficult. I hope y'all get the answers you're looking for!

And welcome back!
    Did you're I used to be a different screenname?

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    We are currently in the same boat!
    I would suggest he talks to an officer recruiter, he will need to take the OAR. That would probably be the first step.

Dh is trying to go back in active, he is reserves now and has a career counselor ao he goes through them for almist everything. He is going to try to go active again even if he has to start out enlisted again (this is not the best path for everyone, but for us it seems to be the best option).

Dh is EN2, manned at 110%.... he has been checking the first of every month for a spot, the one available is for a year senior to him :/
    I think he's taking the OAR today...is that some sort of aptitude test?

Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Definitely speak with an officer recruiter to understand the process, what's available, and his eligibility (age limits especially). When DB went from E to O the timing worked out that his E contract ended, he graduated college, and shipped to OCS all within a few months. He needed a few waivers though and that took some time. Your DH already has a degree, so that's a step ahead already. In the Marines you don't get to chose your MOS (unless your aviation or law), I'm not sure of the process for the Navy and if you would be guaranteed a certain MOS. Welcome back!
    That was the dilemna while my husband was in...he would've had to get his degree in something THEY chose...and he wasn't looking to go into what they were looking for at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    I think my cousins husband did something like this. He was on ships (can't remember exactly what he was doing) but got out finished his degree went to OCS and is an intel officer. This was several years ago. I have a friend who wanted to fly for the navy we went to the same school together didn't have a commissioning program and is an NFO for the navy through OCS but he didn't serve first.
    My husband was on ships too prior to getting out. We're pretty sure he'll have to do one more sea tour if he's goes back...it'll suck but worth it in the long run.
    Scarlett Jean is almost 3!
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    74.23%
    Has he already looked in to the age limits for the job he wants? Even with a waiver for his prior time, he may be too old for some jobs, so I'd start with that, although the recruiter he is meeting with can probably tell him all that. I do know a few people who served and then came back as officers, so it definitely isn't super uncommon, although none did as long as your dh before g ttti g out. Best of luck to him. Oh, and if his career field is another thing like dh's, he'd probably do more than one sea tour in Ten years. Just FYI! DH has did sea 3 years, shore 2, sea 2.5, sea 2.5 for his first ten years after training, so three sea tours. Career progression varies by community though.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    23.57%
    yes, the OAR stands for..... officer aptitude.... readiness? r.... er.... something.....
    let me see if I can get you this page I have that has the different officer jobs (navy doesn't have MOS) and their requirments....
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    23.57%
    can you email me and I can send you this file of requirements? if you want it that is

my email is fycdoula@gmail.com
    (I don't think this is violating persec as it is my business email and on cards and public and such)

I don't know if your husband is involved in the reserves or if this would be an option without being reserves, but my dh was advised to do as much volunteer stuff as his could for the navy, he does a lot of funeral honors.

GPA is more important for some jobs than others.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast