Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting More Concerned About DB Finding a Job

1. Senior Member

Getting More Concerned About DB Finding a Job

Advertisements
    DB and I jointly decided a few months back that he would not reenlist after his first contract was up. He is now due to get out in about four months and I'm starting to get pretty concerned about him finding a civilian job.

He is currently a combat engineer, a job which doesn't translate very well to the civilian world. He also does not have any sort of college degree, or even any college credits. He decided that he wants to go into law enforcement and, while he meets all of the requirements for the police academy, many departments highly desire or require college credits. He's at JRTC right now so I've been making a list of the departments that are hiring trainees and where he meets the requirements so that he can apply to get hired before he even enters the academy and have a guaranteed job lined up. I've looked at almost every department in our target area and I've only found 6 that he can apply to (and those applications might be closed before he can test and apply in August). Even these departments all say they prefer some college coursework or a degree, so I'm concerned about how competitive he will be in his application.

I think I may have misread the situation around law enforcement hiring since my hometown PD (and where my dad works, so where I've been getting a lot of my information) only requires a high school diploma. Part of me is now wondering if it would be wiser for DB to reenlist and work towards getting his AA or BA so that he will be much more competitive in a few years. He offered in our previous discussions about reenlistment to try to reclass, so it's possible that he could change his MOS to be an MP and get a lot more relevant experience.

I don't think he would be opposed to the idea if I had a serious conversation with him about it because he and I both know that I am a large part of why he is getting out now (I never asked him to or told him I would prefer it, but adjusting to the military has been difficult for me). Recently, my anxiety has drastically improved (fingers crossed it isn't temporary) and with it my attitude about the military. Most departments in our home state have changed their retirement to 2.7% at 57, so you cannot retire until 57 and need 30 years for full retirement. DB is currently 21, so he could wait 5 or 6 years to start working as an officer and still retire as early as possible with full retirement. Obviously though, reenlistment comes with more separations and probable deployment(s), which we haven't had to go through yet.

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I know we need to have a conversation when he gets back about what I found and the realistic possibility of him getting sponsored or even getting a job soon after going through the academy, but I'm not sure if I should suggest reenlistment as a serious option for us.

TLDR: Stressed about DB getting a job as a cop after he gets out and wondering if he should maybe stay in. And can't talk to him about it for like 10 days.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Does his army training not transfer into college credits? In the AF everything, down to the classroom based learning we did in basic, transfers into college credit. I know it's not entirely the same but it might be helpful.

Unfortunately changes take place and circumstances change. If he's not prepared to leave the military, either by planning to use his GI Bill or already has a job lined up to support himself, perhaps he should reenlist and work towards some type of college degree for a couple more years. Will it be difficult? Yeah. But will it be worth it and beneficial? Big possibility.

I'm glad your anxiety isn't giving you as much trouble right now and hope it stays that way!
  3. Senior Member
    I'm not sure about the experience transferring to college credits... I'll have to look into that, thanks!

Right now he's planning on using his GI Bill for the police academy, which is about 6 months in California. Ideally, he would get sponsored before he starts, thereby getting both bah and a trainee salary during the academy and immediately transitioning to a full time job after graduation. If he doesn't get sponsored he will have to start applying for jobs as soon as he can during the academy and hope he finds something before he graduates. He would also have to live off of bah during the academy. His parents moved about an hour away, making for a 2 hour commute so he would have to get an apartment or room and things would be tight given where we live. Sponsorship is 100% the most ideal situation, so only having 6 agencies in the area he can apply to is a little scary.

Our hometown department has 5 openings right now, per my dad, so that's positive, but with 2-2.5 months until he can apply there's no guarantee they'll be there.

I'm thinking now that it might be best to discuss reenlistment with him as an option and wait til he takes the tests in August to see how he does. If he doesn't do very well he still has time to reenlist and if he blows it out of the water I'll feel a lot more optimistic.
  4. Senior Member
    I will say this just becoming an MP may not always pan out with the hiring of a police department either. My father in law is a chief of police out in the west coast....he hired a MP once and said it was a regret he would never do again. While the guy was squared away he also made many mistakes that my father in law thought he shouldn't be making cause he served in the military as an MP. He will glad to hire someone who was in the military but just because you had this job in the military doesn't mean someone might not be better who also served.
  5. Regular Member
    Sent you a PM regarding the law enforcement jobs.

"Well behaved women rarely make history"
  6. Senior Member
    My SO is in law enforcement and can offer lots of advice and places to apply. If you are not opposed to moving to another state some states will send you through the academy and pay you while you do it, some states dont. There are many states that are offering sign on bonuses too because no one wants to be a police officer anymore due to the "war on cops." I can ask my SO if he wouldn't mind talking to your SO, if he's up for it... if not I can try and relay info through here.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    My SO is in law enforcement and can offer lots of advice and places to apply. If you are not opposed to moving to another state some states will send you through the academy and pay you while you do it, some states dont. There are many states that are offering sign on bonuses too because no one wants to be a police officer anymore due to the "war on cops." I can ask my SO if he wouldn't mind talking to your SO, if he's up for it... if not I can try and relay info through here.
    Thanks! California is one of the states that will send you through the academy and pay you while you do it, so long as you get hired before you attend. That's really what we're shooting for. Moving states wouldn't be ideal for us, although it would be possible. I'm starting a teaching credential program next week that runs for a year so it would require another stint of long distance and then I would have to try to transfer my teaching credential to the state he moved to and found work in.

DB is at JRTC right now and technically not allowed to use his phone but I can ask him when he gets back about talking to your SO! Thanks!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    I will say this just becoming an MP may not always pan out with the hiring of a police department either. My father in law is a chief of police out in the west coast....he hired a MP once and said it was a regret he would never do again. While the guy was squared away he also made many mistakes that my father in law thought he shouldn't be making cause he served in the military as an MP. He will glad to hire someone who was in the military but just because you had this job in the military doesn't mean someone might not be better who also served.
    Thanks for the advice! I can definitely see what you mean... Obviously things are going to be different in how MPs are trained vs. how California is going to want their officers to be trained and if you've already learned "bad habits" those can be much harder to break than just learning how to do something for the first time.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    Thanks! California is one of the states that will send you through the academy and pay you while you do it, so long as you get hired before you attend. That's really what we're shooting for. Moving states wouldn't be ideal for us, although it would be possible. I'm starting a teaching credential program next week that runs for a year so it would require another stint of long distance and then I would have to try to transfer my teaching credential to the state he moved to and found work in.

DB is at JRTC right now and technically not allowed to use his phone but I can ask him when he gets back about talking to your SO! Thanks!
    Awesome! I also have a friend in Cali who's husband is in law enforcement, somewhere in the Bay area, I can also try and get some more info from them too on how Cali works or whatever questions you may have.

Sounds like staying put is the best option right now, but if for some reason you have the itch to look elsewhere I have LEO friends in Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado, Cali... well, actually all over the US. LOL i could get you in contact with some peeps. Keep me updated. I love hearing that some people are still wanting to get into law enforcement after the last couple of years. We need good LEO's.

I know you mentioned him getting is degree and staying in the military too... could he do reserves and law enforcement at the same time?
  10. Senior Member
    Which option would you prefer--moving to another state for an LE job (and doing LD and dealing with the credential stuff), or having him reenlist (and probably also doing LD in the form of deployment, and likely also having to move to another state and deal with the credential stuff)? I think I'd consider that question carefully before talking to him. Because it seems to me like the things you list as downsides for broadening the job search would all kind of still apply to military life. So if you are willing to do those things for the military, maybe just expand the job search and do them for an LE job, without having to deal with military stuff.

Also, is there any way he could start an online program now, to at least have a few credits completed by October when he gets out?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast