Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Less than a year out and freaking out

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Neutral Less than a year out and freaking out

Advertisements
    Hello all! I found this place when searching for answers online. I am an Active Duty AF spouse. My husband will be voluntarily separating from AD with 14 years of service. I know he is insane and it's not ideal. It's just reality and now I (we) are doing the best to prepare.

We are stationed right now in Hawaii, which is OCONUS. Our HOR is Florida. We will not be moving back there. He has job opportunities in the VA and D.C. area, so that is where we will be looking to go. We will have 2 vehicles and our HHG, 3 animals, and 2 kids to move. It's going to be a nightmare, for me- I stress out just thinking about it.

So I have some questions and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Thanks!

1) From what I have read, the AF will only allow us to ship our belongings to HOR. So how does that work if we need to go somewhere else? Do we HAVE to go to FL, pick everything up, and transport it ourselves?

2) He will most likely have between 30-45 days of terminal leave. We own our home here and will need to sell it. Any experience in timing this? I know that this can entirely depend on the market and don't expect an immediate sale. But I mean, how early can we ship our belongings? We would like to have the place empty in order to do some minor repairs and touch ups.

3) Will we qualify for any type of transitional health coverage? From what I have read, no because he is leaving voluntarily. So what happens, does it just stop as soon as his ETS date comes?

4) This might be super stupid so excuse my ignorance, but since he is choosing to go, will he be considered a veteran and be eligible for any type of veteran's benefits? Like will we be able to use the VA home loan again?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Senior Member
    1. When my husband went on terminal leave when he was active the first time I lived in GA but because his paperwork said his residence was in San Antonio, where his mother lives, they would only pay to move him there. We had to pay for another truck to move him to GA.

2. I'm not too wise about realty but you can have your contract to allow residency so many days after sale, or schedule closing around 45 days out.

3. As for what I remember, health insurance ends abruptly. Kind of why we got married so quickly, so I could get him on mine.

4. Absolutely!!!! As long as you only use it for one house at a time, like you can't decide to keep your current house and rent it out while using the VA home loan to buy another house (assuming the current house used the loan).
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwidecats View Post
    Hello all! I found this place when searching for answers online. I am an Active Duty AF spouse. My husband will be voluntarily separating from AD with 14 years of service. I know he is insane and it's not ideal. It's just reality and now I (we) are doing the best to prepare.

We are stationed right now in Hawaii, which is OCONUS. Our HOR is Florida. We will not be moving back there. He has job opportunities in the VA and D.C. area, so that is where we will be looking to go. We will have 2 vehicles and our HHG, 3 animals, and 2 kids to move. It's going to be a nightmare, for me- I stress out just thinking about it.

So I have some questions and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Thanks!

1) From what I have read, the AF will only allow us to ship our belongings to HOR. So how does that work if we need to go somewhere else? Do we HAVE to go to FL, pick everything up, and transport it ourselves?

2) He will most likely have between 30-45 days of terminal leave. We own our home here and will need to sell it. Any experience in timing this? I know that this can entirely depend on the market and don't expect an immediate sale. But I mean, how early can we ship our belongings? We would like to have the place empty in order to do some minor repairs and touch ups.

3) Will we qualify for any type of transitional health coverage? From what I have read, no because he is leaving voluntarily. So what happens, does it just stop as soon as his ETS date comes?

4) This might be super stupid so excuse my ignorance, but since he is choosing to go, will he be considered a veteran and be eligible for any type of veteran's benefits? Like will we be able to use the VA home loan again?

Thanks for any help.
    We are still active; but, this is a few things I know.

1. They will ship your stuff where ever you want; but, will only pay the mileage from your current duty station to Home of Record (HOR.) In your case Florida. If it costs 3K to ship your stuff to DC and to Florida it was 2K, you pick up the rest of the tab.
    2. Everything that comes with moving is just like a PCS. You schedule the time, place, ect for it. You need to have orders in order to do the pick up.
    3. Your health care will stop. I do think there is a insurance that you can purchase; but, I've heard it is pretty expensive. Not sure on the cost. Tricare would be the place to check with.
    4. He should be a vet and be able to use the loan again; but, you will have to be clear of the current one I believe. They are the people you should ask that question with.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    We are still active; but, this is a few things I know.

1. They will ship your stuff where ever you want; but, will only pay the mileage from your current duty station to Home of Record (HOR.) In your case Florida. If it costs 3K to ship your stuff to DC and to Florida it was 2K, you pick up the rest of the tab.
    2. Everything that comes with moving is just like a PCS. You schedule the time, place, ect for it. You need to have orders in order to do the pick up.
    3. Your health care will stop. I do think there is a insurance that you can purchase; but, I've heard it is pretty expensive. Not sure on the cost. Tricare would be the place to check with.
    4. He should be a vet and be able to use the loan again; but, you will have to be clear of the current one I believe. They are the people you should ask that question with.
    We had a different experience with 1, but it could have been different in 2010 and also my husband could have not looked into it enough. I was so broke I pawned my stuff yo get him moved to me! Man!

I do remember now them offering him to continue tricare but it was SUPER expensive for just him. Like more expensive than it is to have our whole family on it now that he's back in.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    1) In my experience they will pay for the mileage to the HOR but anything further you will have to pay for. He will want to speak to someone about this to make sure he does any and all paperwork to properly set this up. When we made a move similar to this my husband had to have it approved before setting it up.

2) You'll need written orders in order for the military to cover the shiping/move of your belongings. Selling can be unpredictable. You could put your house on the market and it sit for weeks or months. Or it could be under contract within days. I'd probably list 5 months before he is to be out. That *should give some time to get under contract and close, have written orders in hand, and even if you move a little ahead of your DH the military will pay for it. Just make sure to check if you be will allowed to close remotely if y'all will move before it sells. We're in the process of buying right now and learned not all states will allow this so definitely check.

3) I cannot help with insurance, I'm sorry.

4) Yes, he will still be a vet. You can use the VA loan more than once. We're actually using it again now. We did have to provide the HUD-1 closing paperwork from the house we sold. So if you do use it again be prepared to supply that in all the rest of the huge amount of paperwork.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by worldwidecats View Post

1. From what I've heard, they'll ship your HHG as far as your HOR. Any costs above that would be out of pocket. For example, if your HOR was CA and wanted to move to TX, they'd only pay as much as it cost to get your stuff to CA.

2. Depending on your location on island, your home could go fast. Ewa Beach/Mililani are desired areas to buy a home. If you'd like the name of a military exclusive realtor I can give you one. She'd be able to answer your questions and will have your best interests at heart.

3. Not sure about health coverage, sorry.

4. Yes he will be considered a vet and will be eligible for vet benefits.

I am AD in Hawaii as well, so if you have any more questions I can try to help. Feel free to PM me.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    1. From what I've heard, they'll ship your HHG as far as your HOR. Any costs above that would be out of pocket. For example, if your HOR was CA and wanted to move to TX, they'd only pay as much as it cost to get your stuff to CA.

2. Depending on your location on island, your home could go fast. Ewa Beach/Mililani are desired areas to buy a home. If you'd like the name of a military exclusive realtor I can give you one. She'd be able to answer your questions and will have your best interests at heart.

3. Not sure about health coverage, sorry.

4. Yes he will be considered a vet and will be eligible for vet benefits.

I am AD in Hawaii as well, so if you have any more questions I can try to help. Feel free to PM me.
    Cool thanks! We actually bought in Kapolei and in just a few years the value has gone up like crazy, thanks to all the new developments. We don't expect it to take too long to sell, but I know condos stay listed longer than single-family homes. We don't have a realtor in mind yet, so I'll take any suggestions!
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    1. When my husband went on terminal leave when he was active the first time I lived in GA but because his paperwork said his residence was in San Antonio, where his mother lives, they would only pay to move him there. We had to pay for another truck to move him to GA.

2. I'm not too wise about realty but you can have your contract to allow residency so many days after sale, or schedule closing around 45 days out.

3. As for what I remember, health insurance ends abruptly. Kind of why we got married so quickly, so I could get him on mine.

4. Absolutely!!!! As long as you only use it for one house at a time, like you can't decide to keep your current house and rent it out while using the VA home loan to buy another house (assuming the current house used the loan).
    Ah I didn't even consider that for #2, but it makes sense. I'll definitely need to talk with a realtor to see what we can do!
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you all so much for your help! It helps me to know what we need to focus on. This helped a lot!