Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH separating - several questions

1. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"

DH separating - several questions

Advertisements
    So a little back story - DH had Hip surgery September of last year and was put on Limdu status until June of this year. After going through the process we decided that after seeing his orders he would decide whether to stay in or get out. Orders were back to his old command before having the surgery (understandable) but not what we wanted and to accept the orders he would have to reenlist (contract expires Nov 2016). We are completely comfortable going back to our lives before the military, we didn't really intend for it to be a career for him. That being said I have a ton of questions!

1- He is considering going reserves for a few years. How does the moving process work with that? Will be be stationed in his home state the entire time, or will we be subject to involuntary moves?

2 - I know they will move us back to our home of record, is it similar to a PCS move if he was still active duty? Will will get moving expenses, per diem etc. covered? Is there a difference is he is reserves or not?

3 - VA disability, is it as intimidating as I think? We have been very meticulous about keeping all of his records but I'm afraid we may fill it out wrong or miss something. Also his surgery was done by a non-military orthopedic surgeon, we were told no one was qualified to do it at our current base. After fighting with Tricare for months it was approved and this was after they made him do physical therapy for over a year because his DR said he had a "strained muscle in his groin" and finally he was given an x-ray and MRI. We don't know anyone who had anything even similar to what he had (Surgical hip dislocation osteotomy with labral repair and bone shaving) - basically he had little bone growths on the neck of his hip (has it on both sides, only repaired the right) and the surgeon had to surgically break and then dislocate his hip to shave the bone and then repair his labrum. Should we attempt to fill out the application for disability on our own or seek help?

4- GI bill. He paid into the Montgomery when he first joined (1st year 1200$) so he would have extra benefits. He also already has an associates and several credits towards his bachelors. The college he wants to attend is already picked out. Is the application process to start using the benefits pretty straight forward? We plan of him going full time and working part time so we would want to take advantage of the housing stipend.

5 - VA loan. We already have a home, bought back in 2008 way before the military. We plan on refinancing it with his VA loan, has anyone done this?

This ended up being super long so thank you for reading it through. I have been googling for days but would like some personal accounts on all this
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I will answer the ones I am familiar with..

2. Yes, it is like a regular PCS move. He can (Should) move while on Terminal leave, that way its easier to fill out the travel voucher for reimbursement. His final pay will not come until after his terminal leave. He will likely have to go back to fill out paperwork, or find a place near your home. He will get explained all of this when he starts the check out process. The money is a little different, in that there might a couple things you wouldn't get that you would for a PCS but I can't recall entirely.

3. No.. its not as intimidating as it seems. I recommend he start the process now, the more he has done before getting out the better. I also recommend he get assistance with the VA instead of doing it alone. My hubby started his about a year prior, so when he got out it was less time, and less hassle.

4. For the GI Bill, its not as complicated as you think. The school will help with the GI Bill process, but remember, they pay AFTER not before. So essentially he will get registered, attend the class, then if he gets a passing score they will pay the bill. Again, contact the VA for the GI BIll sooner rather than later to make sure he has all documentation needed. Be aware, VA pays slowly, he could be on his 3rd class before he gets payment for the 1st. This could cause issue because the school will want payment right away. GI Bill also doesn't cover books or supplies, only tuition, so be sure you have money for that as well.

4. So long as the home isn't already under VA loan then you can refi with VA loan.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Terminal leave? He has two months of leave saved up and will be using that so we can leave in September to go back home two months early from his actual separation day. Would he just get paid as normal twice a month in Seprember, October and November and then get a separation pay when he actually checks out in November?

That came out worded kind of weird I can go more into detail if you need.

*** I just read up on it realized terminal leave would be him using his saved days, sorry I didn't realize that! We were just calling it leave and his command said he was authorized to use it.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yes, the two months would be terminal leave. There is no separation pay. He would likely fill out all the paperwork he needs prior to leaving, he could even get an advance on moving costs to save the time and trouble. But, again, he should ask all these questions to TMO and finance.

He will get normal pay for Sept and Oct, or whatever the two months are.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Your dh has the Montgomery GI Bill, not the Post 9/11 GI Bill correct? If so, I believe only the Post 9/11 GI Bill includes the housing stipend. See Comparison Tool/Payment Rates - Education and Training for details.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I will answer the ones I am familiar with..

2. Yes, it is like a regular PCS move. He can (Should) move while on Terminal leave, that way its easier to fill out the travel voucher for reimbursement. His final pay will not come until after his terminal leave. He will likely have to go back to fill out paperwork, or find a place near your home. He will get explained all of this when he starts the check out process. The money is a little different, in that there might a couple things you wouldn't get that you would for a PCS but I can't recall entirely.

3. No.. its not as intimidating as it seems. I recommend he start the process now, the more he has done before getting out the better. I also recommend he get assistance with the VA instead of doing it alone. My hubby started his about a year prior, so when he got out it was less time, and less hassle.

4. For the GI Bill, its not as complicated as you think. The school will help with the GI Bill process, but remember, they pay AFTER not before. So essentially he will get registered, attend the class, then if he gets a passing score they will pay the bill. Again, contact the VA for the GI BIll sooner rather than later to make sure he has all documentation needed. Be aware, VA pays slowly, he could be on his 3rd class before he gets payment for the 1st. This could cause issue because the school will want payment right away. GI Bill also doesn't cover books or supplies, only tuition, so be sure you have money for that as well.

4. So long as the home isn't already under VA loan then you can refi with VA loan.
    The gi bill does cover books, but it's only $1000 per year and is divided into semesters. Finding a school that already has a va office is the best way. My school takes care of my GI Bill, all I do is tell the office once I'm done registering and they approve my status. We haven't used the bah part yet since my husbands in the tail end of being medically separated right now.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Your dh has the Montgomery GI Bill, not the Post 9/11 GI Bill correct? If so, I believe only the Post 9/11 GI Bill includes the housing stipend. See Comparison Tool/Payment Rates - Education and Training for details.
    I missed that part in her post, this is correct. Montgomery GI Bill doesn't have the housing allowance/stipend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    The gi bill does cover books, but it's only $1000 per year and is divided into semesters. Finding a school that already has a va office is the best way. My school takes care of my GI Bill, all I do is tell the office once I'm done registering and they approve my status. We haven't used the bah part yet since my husbands in the tail end of being medically separated right now.
    The Montgomery GI Bill doesn't cover books, at least it hasn't for anyone I know (incl DH) that has used the MGI Bill. But that doesn't mean it hasn't changed. $1000 isn't very much, when books for one class could be $500.

9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Do they have an opening in his MOS for the reserves in his hometown? If they do then you won't move from there.

My husband has had to take classes the last few months on getting out and these are all questions they answer. Does the Navy not do that?
    Last edited by rayfinkle; 06-30-2016 at 11:15 PM.

life's a party, rock your body
  10. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Not sure. He is starting the paper work for separation next week so we will know everything then. Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast