Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Medical Retirement Questions

1. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict

Medical Retirement Questions

Advertisements
    I'll start by saying that this is not about my husband, but for our best friend here in Germany. She's trying to find the answers to these questions on base as well but wanted to know if anyone else had experience with this.

C had emergency back surgery late July for a protruding disc. In the German hospital, they ended up doing 3 surgeries in 10 days with the end result being they removed too much of the disc. In September she went through a spinal fusion back at LRMC and has made progress but it's slow, obviously. She's on convalescent leave [and has been] since July and will be until end of November at the earliest, more than likely end of December.

She works in a career field that requires constant movement, bending and lifting; all things that the doctors have said she will not be able to do for at least a year and in some aspects never again.

C has 14 years active-duty in and will hit 15 in less than a year.

Any experience with a similar situation? She's not sure if she would be medically retired, or how things are going to proceed.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    There are too many variables. We had a co-worker that had a bad back and was in the medboard process for many years. He ended up retiring at 20+ years.

It would need to go through the medboard process I'm sure and they would determine what would happen.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    First her Drs will recommend the med board. She could possibly try and cross train before this happens though. Dhs pcm said she's seem many people cross train because they can't continue their current job.
    From the chatter we are hearing the med board process is going a lot quicker then it use to. Dh is being med boarded right now. No just because she goes to the med board doesn't mean they will kick her out.
    To get medically retired, the injury needs to happen because of the military, and have a disability rating of over 30%.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyprincess13 View Post
    I'll start by saying that this is not about my husband, but for our best friend here in Germany. She's trying to find the answers to these questions on base as well but wanted to know if anyone else had experience with this.

C had emergency back surgery late July for a protruding disc. In the German hospital, they ended up doing 3 surgeries in 10 days with the end result being they removed too much of the disc. In September she went through a spinal fusion back at LRMC and has made progress but it's slow, obviously. She's on convalescent leave [and has been] since July and will be until end of November at the earliest, more than likely end of December.

She works in a career field that requires constant movement, bending and lifting; all things that the doctors have said she will not be able to do for at least a year and in some aspects never again.

C has 14 years active-duty in and will hit 15 in less than a year.

Any experience with a similar situation? She's not sure if she would be medically retired, or how things are going to proceed.
    She might be medically discharged. Or she might be medically retired. The medboard would have to decide on that. DH just went through this when he had his back surgery. If you want to PM me we can talk more. I can't promise hers will be like DH's (because they never are) but in addition to my husband getting out for this so did 2 of his friends.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    She might be medically discharged. Or she might be medically retired. The medboard would have to decide on that. DH just went through this when he had his back surgery. If you want to PM me we can talk more. I can't promise hers will be like DH's (because they never are) but in addition to my husband getting out for this so did 2 of his friends.
    Yup. Each med board is different. Ours ended up with, he is fine, go back to work. Now, that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen again. Each case is specific and depends on many variables.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Thank you all so much! Southern-queen, I may pm you soon! Thanks!
  7. Senior Member

May need some info pretty soon!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."