Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Going Back in? Help?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused Going Back in? Help?

Advertisements
    Hello, My name is Amber, I think i may have been part of this forum a looonng time ago, but i'm not sure. Anyways, my husband got out in 2011, he has wrestled with the idea of the military every since. We had one son while was in, and since he got out we had moved back home to PA. Kyle had gone to college for 2 years and got a associates in Diesel Technology. He now works in that field working 2nd shift. We have bought a house, october 17th was the year anniversary for owning it. We just had another little boy, he will be 12 weeks old on sunday. I am a stay at home mom, and recently Kyle had recently really lost himself to depression and anxiety. He is now on medications to help him and he is doing much better (this is a trial run to see if it would help) He then drops it on me a few days ago while on our way to his VA appointment that he is seriously considering going back in active duty.

Now, I support him 110% on whatever he chooses to do but I cant help but walk outside of my door at our 6.5 acres and look at our home that we finally got and have settled down and think we may have to start all over again... I understand why he wants to... I know he has never fully adjusted to civilian life... and this thought has circled through his mind numerous times. And I know that if it wasn't for the boys we would've already been back in, that I am sure of. I asked him why he is thinking of going back in... and he says "to feel apart of something again, to have pride in what i do..." I asked him if he feels part of his depression is because he is no longer in and feels the way he does about his job now... and he says "yea." I also know he has been told by numerous people that with him working the 2nd shift job and how he feels with always either working or sleeping that his quality of life is low right now. I know by watching him talk about the military he lights up... he gets that grin on his face... the pride comes back...

I guess, I dont know what I'm looking for from you ladies... if its guidance, support, advice, or what... I just feel very confused by my mixture of feelings...

He has been weighing heavily on which to choose, stay out or go back in... we have already been in to talk to a recruiter and the little pre-screening has been done.... I know he battles with the thouht of selling the house, and taking Kolden out of school, and all of that... but I want him to do what is best for him... his family will always be his family. Thanks for listening...
    Last edited by USMCVwife02; 10-23-2015 at 07:10 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCVwife02 View Post
    Hello, My name is Amber, I think i may have been part of this forum a looonng time ago, but i'm not sure. Anyways, my husband got out in 2011, he has wrestled with the idea of the military every since. We had one son while was in, and since he got out we had moved back home to PA. Kyle had gone to college for 2 years and got a associates in Diesel Technology. He now works in that field working 2nd shift. We have bought a house, october 17th was the year anniversary for owning it. We just had another little boy, he will be 12 weeks old on sunday. I am a stay at home mom, and recently Kyle had recently really lost himself to depression and anxiety. He is now on medications to help him and he is doing much better! He then drops it on me a few days ago while on our way to his VA appointment that he is seriously considering going back in active duty.

Now, I support him 110% on whatever he chooses to do but I cant help but walk outside of my door at our 6.5 acres and look at our home that we finally got and have settled down and think we may have to start all over again... I understand why he wants to... I know he has never fully adjusted to civilian life... and this thought has circled through his mind numerous times. And I know that if it wasn't for the boys we would've already been back in, that I am sure of. I asked him why he is thinking of going back in... and he says "to feel apart of something again, to have pride in what i do..." I asked him if he feels part of his depression is because he is no longer in and feels the way he does about his job now... and he says "yea." I also know he has been told by numerous people that with him working the 2nd shift job and how he feels with always either working or sleeping that his quality of life is low right now. I know by watching him talk about the military he lights up... he gets that grin on his face... the pride comes back...

I guess, I dont know what I'm looking for from you ladies... if its guidance, support, advice, or what... I just feel very confused by my mixture of feelings...

He has been weighing heavily on which to choose, stay out or go back in... we have already been in to talk to a recruiter and the little pre-screening has been done.... I know he battles with the thouht of selling the house, and taking Kolden out of school, and all of that... but I want him to do what is best for him... his family will always be his family. Thanks for listening...
    My husband is a Marine recruiter. Being on medication for depression is a permanent disqualifier for any branch. If it didn't come up at his screening (which it should have if his recruiter has any experience) then it will come up at MEPS.

3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    [QUOTE=idratherbehiking;10004026]My husband is a Marine recruiter. Being on medication for depression is a permanent disqualifier for any branch. If it didn't come up at his screening (which it should have if his recruiter has any experience) then it will come up at MEPS.[/

So even this being his first time ever having an issue and being on a 10 day trial period from the VA, he was never suicidal or anything like that just unhappy and in a funk that he didnt know why only that it wasnt his family or anything like that without knowing any of that they would disqualify him?
  4. Senior Member
    [QUOTE=USMCVwife02;10004045]
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    My husband is a Marine recruiter. Being on medication for depression is a permanent disqualifier for any branch. If it didn't come up at his screening (which it should have if his recruiter has any experience) then it will come up at MEPS.[/

So even this being his first time ever having an issue and being on a 10 day trial period from the VA, he was never suicidal or anything like that just unhappy and in a funk that he didnt know why only that it wasnt his family or anything like that without knowing any of that they would disqualify him?
    Yes. The military takes depression very seriously because it’s just something they can’t take a risk on. So, if he’s been prescribed meds for it, they will find out and DQ him.

This should have come up in his initial screening. The recruiters have to ask a ton of questions so they can weed out who’s disqualified. They should have asked these questions:
    Do you have a history of depression?
    Have you seen a counselor?
    Have you been prescribed medicine?
    If any of the answers are "yes", the screening ends there. The recruiter’s hands are tied.

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for the information
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Any update?

I was reading your thread and wanted to know if your husband was able to go back in or if he stopped the process?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by salemwitch View Post
    I was reading your thread and wanted to know if your husband was able to go back in or if he stopped the process?
    I don't think she's been back on this site in quite a few months so I don't think she'll be replying