Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Approaching separation date

1. I'm a time traveler. I point and laugh at archaeologists!
    I'm a time traveler. I point and laugh at archaeologists!

Approaching separation date

Advertisements
    My husband is getting out at the end of the summer and while I'm excited about a new adventure, it's starting to feel real. I'm wondering if there is anything I need to be doing this early? Or should I wait a few months before I really start focusing on it? We're planning to move, but don't yet know where as it will depend on where he finds a job. Feel free to tell me I'm thinking about this too soon I'm just feeling like I should be doing SOMETHING...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't know anything about separating from the military, but depending on what area he's planning to work in it can takes MONTHS to find a job. If he wants to apply for a GS position within the government, the application process can take up to 9ish months before he actually starts working. So unless he already has a job lined up, I'd focus a lot on that right now.

I Eelizah
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I agree about job hunting. DH etsd in September and he started contacting recruiters in April. Maybe you can help him with his job hunting?
  4. I'm a time traveler. I point and laugh at archaeologists!
    I'm a time traveler. I point and laugh at archaeologists!
    Thanks for the tips! The job search has already started, so I guess I'll just chill for now

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Has he thought about using a headhunting/recruiting agency? My DH and others had a ton of success with it.

THe VA has a pre-discharge program where you can do your application for disability 60-180 days before separation. I'd start that soon.

Also, has he decided if he wants to do reserves (active or inactive?) he'll need some other paperwork for that along with his DD214 when he gets out.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I assume he isn't retiring.

I would start saving money because the cost of healthcare and housing will hit you hard, especially if he doesn't have a job.

Is it not too soon to job hunt, but just know that he cannot get accepted for a GS position, and many will not even interview him, until he has a DD214. Its considered double dipping and they often will not even look at a member until AFTER they have final outprocessed. Even if he is on terminal leave (if he has any) they may not even consider him.

Really, the best thing you can do is make sure your budget is in check, make sure you can survive without his income and save, save, save as much money as you can. Start looking at healthcare options should he not have a job right away as you will lose Tricare.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Has he thought about using a headhunting/recruiting agency? My DH and others had a ton of success with it.

THe VA has a pre-discharge program where you can do your application for disability 60-180 days before separation. I'd start that soon.

Also, has he decided if he wants to do reserves (active or inactive?) he'll need some other paperwork for that along with his DD214 when he gets out.
    That's how DH got his job when he separated. The recruiter was really helpful and found him a good paying job in our area.