Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dental/Health After Separation??

1. Senior Member

Confused Dental/Health After Separation??

Advertisements
    So we just went through the whole TAP/GPS week of classes, plus another for Technical schools. We're still confused as hell. We did learn a lot and got some things figured out and a plan started but with him only just now being able to attend these classes cause of deployment, then no one doing anything til all the holiday leave was done and over with, then underways right after that, no preparation was started til seriously last week. We also got the lovely information that they're going to go ahead and separate him sometime during this current underway or like the day they get back.

So, with that craziness put out there I have an extremely short time to figure out what kind of health coverage we're going to have and for how long when they separate him. I know for health insurance we're still covered under Tricare TAMP for 180 days with the standard coverage which is great. Then after that we can enroll in CHCBP for 18 months but have to pay something around $3,000 every 90 days for it. Ugh, not looking forward to that if my husband doesn't have a job by then. I seriously won't be able to afford that with just my job and covering our other bills.

Dental is what is really confusing me though. I've searched all over the Tricare site and keep getting mixed messages about it. On some pages/documents from the site it says if we're eligible for TAMP then he can enroll in Tricare Active Duty Dental Program and go to civilian dentists when needed, but then another page under the TAMP information says Active duty covered by TAMP are still eligible for care at military dental clinics. But they don't qualify for the Active Duty Dental Program. What? lol Also, where we are moving there aren't any military dental clinics anywhere nearby. Closest one is a few hours away.

As for me, one section says family members can enroll in the Tricare Dental Program paying the Reserve/Guard family member amount while another section just says my coverage will run out when he separates and that I might qualify for some coverage at military dental clinics, which again are no where near where we will be living.

I'm so confused. :/ My head hurts from all the information, homework from this past week and just things that we need to figure out and do before he separates, right after, for the move and then anything else that needs to be done once we move to get him into school, benefits and see if he's eligible for disability.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Are you retiring or just ETSing?

They each have different rules.

For dental, you can enroll along with Tricare, but it has a higher cost than what you pay as active duty. And if you do not enroll in dental within 3 months of retiring then you have to wait 1 year before you can get any referrals or work done outside general cleanings.

Similar for Tricare medical, even though you may get the 180 days, if you don't do it within 3 months of retiring you have to wait a year for referrals and such. Also with Tricare, if you don't pay for the first 3 months up front you will get dropped. You also have to stay on top of it before the 3 months is up to submit payment or sign up for automatic withdraw. The first time you miss a pyment you will get dropped and have to re-enroll, and that can be tedious. And if you had prime and get dropped, you can't get prime again for a year.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    Thanks, but he's being separated early for failing 3 PT tests in a row and has only been in for 4 years so he doesn't qualify for the retirement benefits.

We finally were able to talk to United Concordia and get some information. Turns out he'll have dental through the Tricare Active Duty Dental Program for 180 days after separation but nothing will cover me for dental once he is out.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724