Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tips for Separation

1. Senior Member

Tips for Separation

Advertisements
    Hey guys! It's been forever since I've been really active on here, life has just been busy with work, hanging with the guys, deployment and moving.

Well, my husband's 4 years are up and he just got his separation papers. Yay! We're both super excited and nervous. We'll be moving back to my home state where we'll stay with my parents til we find a house and he finds a job. I'll be going back to my old jobs there, I'm super excited about being back!

So in preparation of all the new changes coming up and setting up the move I could use some advice and tips to make things go smoothly. He'll be going to TAP classes next week and I've heard spouses can go too. I'm going to see if he wants me to tag along since he always zones out in classes. He wanted to do the online courses instead so we could do it at home together, cause I'll pay attention and remember it. lol Anyway, I know the service members have to wear uniforms or business casual. Is there a requirement for the spouses?

We'll be having the military move us and we've never done that. What do we need to do to prepare for the movers? What do we need to setup the date for them to come move our stuff and how do we do that exactly? How soon should we setup a date for them to move our stuff? He doesn't have a date yet but should be getting it soon. It will be in 3 to 4 weeks though. We're hoping to be able to move out in the first few weeks of April.

Also, any tips for job searching/building a resume? Neither one of us have ever had to really make one or search for jobs. We both ended up working where our mom's worked for first jobs and then he went to the military. My second job a friend recommended and it was in the field I had already spent 6 years in. So we're not completely sure how to translate military work into all the different civilian jobs and positions.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

My husband is getting out in May, so we've kind of been doing this stuff as well. DH got a hold of some company that recruites people from the military to civilian jobs. Orian, I think the company is called. I don't know very many specifics, such as if they help all branches and all rates/MOS, but they have been awesome. Sunday and Monday they actually invited DH to a hiring conference. Yesterday he had 5 interviews and they all went really well. Maybe that would be a good start.

I think they may have started allowing spouses go to taps, I don't think this is the first time I have heard that. I personally didn't go, but I went when I separated from the Navy even though you are a spouse, still dress business casual, if you go.

As far as resumes, go to fleet and family. They will help you with those.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Welcome back! We missed you!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks! We'll look into that company! Congrats on your husband getting out and getting 5 interviews already!

I talked to my husband today about going and he confirmed they allow spouses as long as there's room. What would be good examples of business attire for me? lol I've never had to wear business type clothing ever in my life and really still have no reason after this class so don't want to go spend a ton of money. I work with children, babysitting, nanny, after school cares, nursery type settings so it's always been very casual attire. My "uniform" for my current job is just a pink t-shirt with the logo and whatever pants I choose besides sweats, yoga, skirts (cause playing with kids) and short shorts.

And hey! Missed ya'll too!

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Welcome back!

DH learned a lot about how to write a good resume in that class, he passed some tips on to me as well. There's also a lot of good resources online for how to write a resume and cover letter. It was a recruiter that ended up getting DH his job too, but based on what I've heard it kind of depends on the field if recruiters would be useful or not ... DH was looking for a tech job (he was in signal so he had tons of computer experience and certifications) and I guess that worked well.

Business casual to me would mean skirt/slacks and either a nice top or a button down. I do tend to sometimes overdress but anything more casual than that isn't business wear imo.
  6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Welcome back!

DH learned a lot about how to write a good resume in that class, he passed some tips on to me as well. There's also a lot of good resources online for how to write a resume and cover letter. It was a recruiter that ended up getting DH his job too, but based on what I've heard it kind of depends on the field if recruiters would be useful or not ... DH was looking for a tech job (he was in signal so he had tons of computer experience and certifications) and I guess that worked well.

Business casual to me would mean skirt/slacks and either a nice top or a button down. I do tend to sometimes overdress but anything more casual than that isn't business wear imo.
    I've heard the same about recruiters. Some fields it's really great for and others not so much. I agree on the business casual as well. Nice blouse and slacks/skirt would be good. Maybe kakhis if you like them, but that'd be as causal as I'd go.
  7. Senior Member
    I found a website that converts military experience to civilian jobs so that looks like it could be helpful! Hopefully he can find something in the area we'll be moving to that he has experience in or will teach on the job. When I checked it out most of the jobs that pulled up for his rate there are mechanic type work on cars, which he doesn't have experience with since he worked on a ship. lol!

Thanks! I'll have to look through my shirts and see if I have any dressy ones. Luckily my aunt gave me some slacks she no longer wears so I have that!

8. Senior Member

I did the TAP week back in like... September? I highly recommend you go along! It'd be very beneficial for both of you! Wear business casual.

As for job searching and resumes, you will learn a LOT about it in the TAP week and get plenty of useful sites, tips, etc!
    Deployment #1: Over!

DB: feck fuck fack Me: What? DB: I can't believe I love you so damn much

Extended separation #2: Over!
  9. Senior Member
    Thanks! I spent the evening yesterday looking up information for the class for my husband and printing out all his forms and information it said to bring along. I'll be looking through my closet tomorrow to see what shirts I have that would be okay to wear. I have a dress that may work as well, might post pictures to see what ya'll think.

After all this job searching and resume building we'll be going into the fun world of house hunting! We're becoming real adults now!

10. Senior Member
    Would a dress like this be okay?