Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you have to know where you're moving?

1. Senior Member

When do you have to know where you're moving?

Advertisements
    DH is separating, we are still undecided on where to move. At what point in the process do you have to tell the military where you're moving? I just don't want to be surprised with "You have to tell us today where you're moving".
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

I don't know. We're getting close to this as well (May) and I'm starting to get anxiety about it all
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    before his orders are cut. He will get separation orders. It will have to be decided in enough time for them to send you guys back before his ETS date. Whether that is 30 days or 2 weeks, or 1 day I do not know. But it can take 90 days to get his shipment scheduled. So I would look to have a location decided before 90 days out. If there is no decision it will go to HOR.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    before his orders are cut. He will get separation orders. It will have to be decided in enough time for them to send you guys back before his ETS date. Whether that is 30 days or 2 weeks, or 1 day I do not know. But it can take 90 days to get his shipment scheduled. So I would look to have a location decided before 90 days out. If there is no decision it will go to HOR.
    Oh so this is just for people oconus then
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    Oh so this is just for people oconus then
    well no.. same is true for conus.. .still need to know in plenty of time to get household items shipped. If no decision is made all will go to HOR.
    Its generally before orders are cut. Most times orders will not be cut until the member decides where to go, but they have an end date to which they must decide. I think its 60 days. But I am not 100 sure.

Your DH will get separation orders, those orders determine where his goods are shipped.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks for the info! Just to be safe we're going to give ourselves 4 months out from our moving time frame which means we need to figure it out in about a month
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I wanna say MF had to say like 2 1/2- 3 months out
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They will put your stuff into storage if you don't know where you're going to settle.

Friend retired last year from Germany. They were undecided as to the location. They packed up, stuff was brought back to US, put into storage until they chose what offer to accept and relocated to that area and bought a house. I don't remember how many days of storage they were authorized, but they accepted shipment about three months after returning to the states.
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    They will put your stuff into storage if you don't know where you're going to settle.

Friend retired last year from Germany. They were undecided as to the location. They packed up, stuff was brought back to US, put into storage until they chose what offer to accept and relocated to that area and bought a house. I don't remember how many days of storage they were authorized, but they accepted shipment about three months after returning to the states.
    From what I remember, there are differences based on how you are leaving (retiring, involuntary sep, voluntary sep, etc) so if you guys don't decide right away make sure you know the limits on time for your situation!

TSP asked DH if we were moving when he went to get his sep paperwork. We weren't though so I am not sure how it would have worked if he'd said yes and they needed to arrange it all. Good luck!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    From what I remember, there are differences based on how you are leaving (retiring, involuntary sep, voluntary sep, etc) so if you guys don't decide right away make sure you know the limits on time for your situation!
    True, the length of time you are authorized non-temp storage for depends on how/why you are separating. With retirement, you get 12 months of NTS. Members ETSing get less. It is all spelt out in the JFTR.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast