Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Adminestrative Seperation Info?

1. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Adminestrative Seperation Info?

Advertisements
    DH is being administratively separated from the USMC because of his weight. It is what it is & we have known since January. It has taken forever for them to process the paperwork. Originally he was told that he would be gone by the end of February and it's already the end of May. Right now, DH's separation date is at the end of June or beginning of July. He went through the week of TRS classes back in April. He is getting conflicting info regarding Tricare and or the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP) through Humana. He has asked his higher ups who he needs to go talk to find out the correct information but they are giving him the run around.

I originally thought that once he separated from active duty that was it, no more health insurance. Some spouses have told me that we are eligible for an additional 6 months of Tricare because he is being involuntarily separated from the military. Others have told me we have to enroll in the CHCBP program and pay quarterly premiums. If we aren't eligible for anything and our health insurance ends the day he leaves active duty, then that is fine. I just want to make sure we haven't missed anything that DH is eligible for. This whole process has been very confusing and it truly is a hurry up and wait scenario.

Does anyone have any experience with Administrative Separation for the USMC? Or who DH can go and call or talk to in person about this? I know there are no longer any Tricare offices on any bases, that they all closed back in April.

I am looking into other health insurance options including Obamacare even though open enrollment has closed. I believe we would be eligible for it since DH is being involuntarily separated. I have numerous health issues with a couple of them being very serious. I'm on a bunch of different medication with several of them being medications that I just can't stop cold turkey because it could be very dangerous. I am willing to pay out of pocket for the medication if I need too. Figures this happens after I finally found a pain management doctor and rheumatolgist that I absolutely love.

2. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 08:12 AM.
  3. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you should qualify for the extended Tricare for 6 months- and the best people to talk to about that is Tricare.

the cobra type insurance is insanely expensive- like 1800 dollars every 6 months.
    Thank you. I will give Tricare West a call.

I do know that the cobra like insurance is expensive. It can't hurt to explore all of the options that are available to us. I can't go too long without health insurance primarily because of my chronic kidney disease and inflammatory arthritis, among multiple other issues.

4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you should qualify for the extended Tricare for 6 months- and the best people to talk to about that is Tricare.

the cobra type insurance is insanely expensive- like 1800 dollars every 6 months.
    DH and I got the 6 months and it was no issue using it - I just went to my appointments like normal and told them I was using TAMP. That gave us enough time for DH to find a job with benefits because I wasn't eligible at mine yet.

Hope you figure it out!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Also, here's a link I found: (it's to a pdf)
    http://www.tricare.mil/~/media/Files.../Sep_AD_FS.pdf
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    DH and I got the 6 months and it was no issue using it - I just went to my appointments like normal and told them I was using TAMP. That gave us enough time for DH to find a job with benefits because I wasn't eligible at mine yet.

Hope you figure it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Also, here's a link I found: (it's to a pdf)
    http://www.tricare.mil/~/media/Files.../Sep_AD_FS.pdf

That's great info. Thank you!

We are moving back to Jersey and are going to be living with my parents. Not a lot of doctors in their area take Tricare (my dad is retired military, so he & my mom still have Tricare) so I may have to travel for a few appointments until DH finds a job with benefits. My contacted my old job and they are willing to rehire me in my old position of part time teller. I worked there for almost 8 years. I get no benefits from them for being part time but it is a relief knowing that if I can't find another job, I'll be able to make some money.