Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH's Med Board Update

1. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

DH's Med Board Update

Advertisements
    So DH got his results back Thursday and they're not even remotely where we thought they'd be they're trying to say he can only get 10% disability for his back because he still has good range of motion. Even though all the doctors notes show that over time those discs are going to get worse and worse and eventually he's going to need to have disc replacement surgery. They won't consider him for surgery this young, but they're saying it's going to happen eventually. On top of the back issue, they're giving him 10% for some silly issue with his wrist so we're confused as to how his wrist that never even bothers him but had to be reviewed because it was an injury that occured in the military, that gets 10% but his back that is a constant struggle every day that is regulated with pain medication and a plethora of different treatments warrants the same percentage even though it is a larger problem and is going to continually be a problem for the rest of his life...

So he's only qualified for 20% total disability which is rough. With 30% we would of been able to keep medical coverage for the entire family so we need to start planning whose job we're going to utilize health insurance through which is going to be a whole other expense we have to budget for. This is all assuming his appeal doesn't have a chance but he's going to talk to legal later today or tomorrow and see what they say. If they don't accept it, we just have to accept that that is all we can do and he'll be processing out within 45-60 days. On the brighter side, because he is working in dispatch, the man who runs that department is a good friend of my dads and has been working closely with DH so they said they should have a position come available within 2 weeks and if DH wanted it, it was his to take. So at least that's a job he'll have rather than being unemployed for a short period of time and having to job hunt. He'll also receive a severance check and small disability payments to make up some of the difference. Or he can opt out of that option and just take larger monthly payments, I'm so confused on how that all pans out so if anyone has some insight there, that would be great.

It's tough though. I'm so anxious about him being transitioned into civilian world, I know he's so excited and ready for it but it's just a nerve wrecking process. I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly and even if this appeal does us no good, we're at least able to figure it out and budget out everything we need to!

2. Senior Member
    Awe I'm sorry hopefully he's able to file an appeal in a timely manner!!!!
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    it'll all work out one way or the other, I know you're stressed about it but you guys will figure this out.

4. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by HerAirmansLove View Post
    Awe I'm sorry hopefully he's able to file an appeal in a timely manner!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    it'll all work out one way or the other, I know you're stressed about it but you guys will figure this out.
    thanks!

I know we'll get it all situated it's just stressful for sure. I'm just glad I have pretty good job security where I'm at here so it gives me some relief! I'm just hoping this job thing goes well with DH so we still have a set income even after he's processed out and don't have to rely on that severance check or whatever!

5. Senior Member
    I love that you're so optimistic! You're awesome!
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That sounds really stressful! I don't know much about the appeal process at all but I hope his is successful.
  7. Senior Member

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Goodness, that is a lot of stress. I hope the appeal is successful.
  9. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    You might consider talking to a representative from the DAV, the local vet center, or another service organization. The paperwork for appeal is a pain and somewhat confusing, so it helps to have someone who completes them all the time assist. Our state's DAV full-time rep at the time was a lawyer and she basically asked for compensation for everything that ever twinged on DH. It was a shotgun approach, which appalled me at the time, but now that I have seen how the VA system is screwed up, I understand better.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I am so sorry, hun! I am happy to hear that at least he does have a job at this point. I just wish he was going to be getting more in disability. That really stinks! I hope the appeal works out in your favor!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast