Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retirement... UGH

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Judi89 View Post
    I understand... It is stressful for sure. I think the biggest issue for me at this point is the final PCS. Kind of pisses me off we only have 1 year to use it after he retires. Our son is in his Freshman year of high school as an IB (pre-IB technically until 11th grade) student. We want him to stay and finish at this school and now have to either kiss away the expensive final PCS, or move and uproot my son from his school. I know there are other IB schools, but my gut tells me he should stick to one school for this...
    Could you have your things moved main furniture etc and place them in storage and then pick up things from Craigs list/ people selling because of PCS etc to get through the school years, sell everything you pick up to help with your final move expense, then move back to where you want to settle? Just pack the car/Uhaul and move back? I know jobs could be an issue or establishing state residence but perhaps it is a way you could make it work to have your move and still keep your son in his school.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  2. Senior Member
    I understand... It is stressful for sure. I think the biggest issue for me at this point is the final PCS. Kind of pisses me off we only have 1 year to use it after he retires. Our son is in his Freshman year of high school as an IB (pre-IB technically until 11th grade) student. We want him to stay and finish at this school and now have to either kiss away the expensive final PCS, or move and uproot my son from his school. I know there are other IB schools, but my gut tells me he should stick to one school for this...
    This is my frustration too. We are currently OCONUS, we can't leave prior to 6mo from the date he reaches high tenure due to his PRD. However, a twilight tour requires a min of 12mo remaining on active duty. He can't officially retire from an OCONUS location and we are required to go to one of three areas in the US (VA, CA, WA), where he will be TAD for 6mo. However, whichever area we choose....is the one and only move we get. Doesn't matter he can't even really look for a job that far out, and we have no idea where he will get a job. Beyond frustrating.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123