Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone go into law enforcement after the military?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

anyone go into law enforcement after the military?

Advertisements
    DH has been chewing on going to the police academy. Anyone have experience with this? I think he would really enjoy it and do well, but I am nervous about it. And I will also have to find a full time job and put my daughter in day care to put him through. I just want to know about it before hand.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    DH tried for 2 years and could not get picked up, because he does not have a degree he had to find departments that do not require a degree.
    I also decided that I did not want to be a policeman's wife, I am strong but not strong enough to know that my DH could be killed every single day he went to work.
    It was crazy when he was in a war zone - I could not do it again.
  3. Senior Member
    It sounds like he has some significant PTSD issues. Not only would that means LE might not be a good fit, it is very likely it would disqualify him, unfortunately. Since he's already struggling, I wanted to point this out to make sure he doesn't get his hopes up and then have them crushed. It is of course worth looking into, but make sure he stays realistic about whether it is truly a good fit for him, and whether departments would take him with PTSD.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Savoy View Post
    DH has been chewing on going to the police academy. Anyone have experience with this? I think he would really enjoy it and do well, but I am nervous about it. And I will also have to find a full time job and put my daughter in day care to put him through. I just want to know about it before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It sounds like he has some significant PTSD issues. Not only would that means LE might not be a good fit, it is very likely it would disqualify him, unfortunately. Since he's already struggling, I wanted to point this out to make sure he doesn't get his hopes up and then have them crushed. It is of course worth looking into, but make sure he stays realistic about whether it is truly a good fit for him, and whether departments would take him with PTSD.
    - having just read your other thread I was surprised to see this. I think the primary thing right now is for him to focus on getting himself to a healthy place and THEN evaluate his possible job options, possibly with the consult of the professionals he works with on his depression/PTSD.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    a PTSD diagnosis will be a disqualifier for the police dept and a history of depression is also a disqualifier.
    Unfortunately he will have to look at other non LE employment.

editing to add; there are different levels of PTSD but departments are becoming more and more cautious with PTSD, many of the evals have been changed to be more PTSD sensitive.

for the depression if the eval shows depression it can be a disqualifier.

there have been more and more instances of trouble with PTSD and with depression and the police dept are ultimately responsible when something happens while the cop is on the job.
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 01-10-2014 at 06:39 AM.
  6. Senior Member
    both of my parents became police officers after the military..... they enjoyed it very much and it was an easy transition for them.... GOOD LUCK TO YOUR HUBBY!!!!!!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    DH tried for 2 years and could not get picked up, because he does not have a degree he had to find departments that do not require a degree.
    I also decided that I did not want to be a policeman's wife, I am strong but not strong enough to know that my DH could be killed every single day he went to work.
    That's real. The thought of DH being a Police Officer or Fireman would scare me 100x times more than him being in the Navy.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    DB wants to be a police officer when he gets out of the Navy in a few years. And I feel the same way, about not being all that happy about potentially being a police officer's wife and being faced with the possibility of him being killed daily. It just doesn't sit well with me. But we have a few years to go still and who knows what he will decide then. His dad was a cop though and a police chief, so the possibility of him going that route is pretty high
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I wondered about it myself. If this is something he really wants, I would like to think I could support that. I had also hoped that I wouldn't have to worry about him being shot ever again.... I was thrilled when he got out just for that reason alone. I think he would enjoy it, but I am not really sure that applying tomorrow is a great idea. I talked to one of my friends about it earlier, and I have decided that the next time he brings it up I am going to tell him that I think he should think about it some more. I think there are other things that need attention right now, like him talking to someone about his depression and PTSD. I think he's at a place where he feels lost and I think he just wants a career. I think he thinks it'll make things better. I don't want to discourage him if its something he wants, but ahhhhh.... idk. I am at a point where I feel like I should say nothing to him at all. This is too much change all at once.

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate them. =]
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    my husband did after his first enlistment. its honestly hard even with military experience. they do prefer and give veterans a slight edge but its only slight. As long as he has a degree for those departments that require one will he be able to be slightly ahead. Some bigger depts require experience already so he might have to do part time work at a small dept or maybe even corrections for a few years. DH did a year and a half part time (nights and weekends) while he attended college. He then was able to land a job at a bigger dept and then used that as a stepping stone to a city PD. But it took three years to get there with his degree and his military experience. Honestly, a lot of military veterans do go in to the interview thinking they will get the job over someone off the street with a bachelors degree but sometimes the veteran may not even considered. Military experience isn't something that will give him a huge edge into landing a law enforcement job, just a small slight edge when it comes to training, especially if they were in law enforcement in the military. DH saw this when he applied for Texas DPS and ten different municipalities. And several others he served with experienced the same thing back in their home towns. Now with city and state budgets shrinking and more people not retiring at 20, 25 years of serve, the competition for those jobs has to be even worse then back then.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast