Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone go into law enforcement after the military?

1. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Advertisements
    It depends on where you are going after the Military. If you stay in GA, I can't help you much there as for how the whole LEO thing is done. But speaking from my experiences, veterans preference does help, but not a whooooole bunch. And reading some of the responses about your DH possibly having PTSD, thats going to cause some troubles during a psych eval. However, depression is NOT an immediate disqualifier. It can be, much like anything else like a parking ticket can be, but not an immediate "no". He needs to be as healthy as possible before he tried anything though. Mentally and physically.

With PERA (the whole police retirement thing) going up in the air, there are already tons of departments opening up in anticipation of retiree's taking thier PERA before it changes. The next couple years is going to see an overhaul of younger cops.

As for being a cops wife, I guess I can't say much to that since I'm previous LE myself, getting back into it, I'm a cops daughter, and a DG to a cop. To me its no different than any other job really, I don't see all the danger and scary everyone else does because I'm used to it. But I guess there have been times when I've been concerned about E or my dad going into things because while I know they can handle themselves (and thats why I say I'm not terrified constantly) I also know the realities of what can happen. And I will say that it is not something everyone can do.
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

2. You are here.
    You are here.
    oh and on the cops wife thing, it was an experience, it can be hard but it can also be mellow and laid back depending on the size of the city, crime stats and who he will be dealing with. especially when my husband would come home with his glasses broke or beaten up telling me he had an incident with an individual and needed blood work done for hep c due to the fight. but the best were the great times he had with his partners, most of the time the schedules were set and and he had decent pay for oklahoma. but it was definitely was an experience that i never can forget and that i can appreciate. depending on where he gets employed and the crime stats (ie most reported etc, like meth or car theft) it can be easy or it can be trying at times. And it may not be easy at times. DH's first two was pretty easy, it was the third place where drugs from Mexico and dealing with ICE became more of an issue and at times it was busy busy for him, arrests, courts, stings, etc.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It sounds like he has some significant PTSD issues. Not only would that means LE might not be a good fit, it is very likely it would disqualify him, unfortunately. Since he's already struggling, I wanted to point this out to make sure he doesn't get his hopes up and then have them crushed. It is of course worth looking into, but make sure he stays realistic about whether it is truly a good fit for him, and whether departments would take him with PTSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    a PTSD diagnosis will be a disqualifier for the police dept and a history of depression is also a disqualifier.
    Unfortunately he will have to look at other non LE employment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    It depends on where you are going after the Military. If you stay in GA, I can't help you much there as for how the whole LEO thing is done. But speaking from my experiences, veterans preference does help, but not a whooooole bunch. And reading some of the responses about your DH possibly having PTSD, thats going to cause some troubles during a psych eval. However, depression is NOT an immediate disqualifier. It can be, much like anything else like a parking ticket can be, but not an immediate "no". He needs to be as healthy as possible before he tried anything though. Mentally and physically.

With PERA (the whole police retirement thing) going up in the air, there are already tons of departments opening up in anticipation of retiree's taking thier PERA before it changes. The next couple years is going to see an overhaul of younger cops.

As for being a cops wife, I guess I can't say much to that since I'm previous LE myself, getting back into it, I'm a cops daughter, and a DG to a cop. To me its no different than any other job really, I don't see all the danger and scary everyone else does because I'm used to it. But I guess there have been times when I've been concerned about E or my dad going into things because while I know they can handle themselves (and thats why I say I'm not terrified constantly) I also know the realities of what can happen. And I will say that it is not something everyone can do.
    interesting that this should come up, because I had thought about making a thread about this before... but does the disqualifier mean only a diagnosed PTSD? My friend's husband did a military stint several years ago and has now become a cop. He says he has PTSD, but doesn't see anyone for it. I know there are varying levels of PTSD, it's not all the "stereotype" of someone who cannot even leave their own house it's so severe, some it can be "mild" and more manageable... so I guess he'd fall into that category. Well he was accepted and had graduated and everything, I'm assuming the psych eval was in there too. Apparently it's not so much with gunfire that triggers him, but he says his PTSD is one of the reasons he can't take care of his child alone for long periods of time. Now my friend is trying to get him to talk to someone about his PTSD, but he is afraid that would jeopardize his job... yet he someone passed everything to become a cop! But perhaps it's because it's not in his med records any where since he's never been officially diagnosed? But if he did see someone they would be? I tried looking something up for her months ago but couldn't find a clear answer on this. It's always bothered me a little, him becoming a cop. But he doesn't seem completely crippled by it, either.
  4. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    interesting that this should come up, because I had thought about making a thread about this before... but does the disqualifier mean only a diagnosed PTSD? My friend's husband did a military stint several years ago and has now become a cop. He says he has PTSD, but doesn't see anyone for it. I know there are varying levels of PTSD, it's not all the "stereotype" of someone who cannot even leave their own house it's so severe, some it can be "mild" and more manageable... so I guess he'd fall into that category. Well he was accepted and had graduated and everything, I'm assuming the psych eval was in there too. Apparently it's not so much with gunfire that triggers him, but he says his PTSD is one of the reasons he can't take care of his child alone for long periods of time. Now my friend is trying to get him to talk to someone about his PTSD, but he is afraid that would jeopardize his job... yet he someone passed everything to become a cop! But perhaps it's because it's not in his med records any where since he's never been officially diagnosed? But if he did see someone they would be? I tried looking something up for her months ago but couldn't find a clear answer on this. It's always bothered me a little, him becoming a cop. But he doesn't seem completely crippled by it, either.

Some academies require an intensive psych, others do not. Some agencies require an intensive psych, but all require some sort (I believe, again I can only speak from my particular state and experiences). They are there to weed out the people who can't handle it but mostly to see if that person would be a good fit for that particular agency. There are, I would presume since its the type A personality to act tough and macho, that there are actually probably a good decent amount of cops who have some level of PTSD and/or depression from the job. BUT you are right, most departments aren't going to want to hire somebody who's already got big "problems". And the psych obviously does not weed out everybody since there are cops out there with big time anger/aggression/heavyhanded issues, or who eat their service weapon, etc.
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

5. Senior Member
    DH worked with a lot of Marines who got out and either went or tried to go into law enforcement. He even has a close friend who got out of the corps, went law enforcement, and is now trying to get back into the military (not Marines, though).

From what I've seen, the reality is that a lot of military service members think that they would be perfect candidates for law enforcement positions and that it's a slam dunk transition. But, it's not. There are hundreds of people who get out of the military and pursue law enforcement. And, the reality is that most people are all going to be equally qualified coming out of the military (obviously, there's exceptions here).

The other thing that I would mention is that depending on your location, STAYING in law enforcement can be difficult. As the "new guy" on the bottom of the totem pole, budget cuts or any kind of cutbacks could cause lay-offs or being let go.

I think the advice that I would give him is, "If it's something that you would have done anyways without the military service background, then go for it." Don't pursue it just because it's "kind of like the military" or seems like a good transition from the military. If it's something that he's always wanted to do, then it should be something that he goes for.
  6. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    That's real. The thought of DH being a Police Officer or Fireman would scare me 100x times more than him being in the Navy.
    My dad was a police officer in Los Angeles when I was young. He was injured in the line of duty (not shot) and medically retired. When I started dating a Marine, my mom shared with me how scary it was when my dad was a PO and she had two little daughters at home with her.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    Some academies require an intensive psych, others do not. Some agencies require an intensive psych, but all require some sort (I believe, again I can only speak from my particular state and experiences). They are there to weed out the people who can't handle it but mostly to see if that person would be a good fit for that particular agency. There are, I would presume since its the type A personality to act tough and macho, that there are actually probably a good decent amount of cops who have some level of PTSD and/or depression from the job. BUT you are right, most departments aren't going to want to hire somebody who's already got big "problems". And the psych obviously does not weed out everybody since there are cops out there with big time anger/aggression/heavyhanded issues, or who eat their service weapon, etc.
    yeah I thought about that, that of course many cops have some sort of PTSD from the actual job itself. Very much so makes sense. My friend's husband is extremely new to being a cop, so his PTSD is from his military stint. If he got help for it now would it somehow jeopardize his job? He just seems he can manage it in almost every way in life except when it comes to his child, then it seems almost severe. But is doing well in his job, as far as I know.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12