Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty years plus reserves? How's it work?

1. Senior Member

Twenty years plus reserves? How's it work?

Advertisements
    How does this work with retirement calculations? If he gets out at 20 and then joins the reserves and does is weekend and 2 weeks, does that add in some way to his retirement (increasing the % of the retired base pay, or something else?)? If he were to promote in the reserves, how would that change the base on which the retirement is calculated?

And is the weekend a month, 2 weeks a year style reserves the only option? Or is there something else? He wouldn't want to go full time again, so I'm looking for any other part time options since he'd want a civilian career, even if he had to leave occasionally if he was activated.

Basically, I'm wondering how it works if he goes into the reserves after making it to retirement. We are a ways out (about 5 years) but we are starting to ponder options, in a general way.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Banned
    Banned
    he can't join the reserves after retirement.

well he can if he is 35 or younger and gives up his retirement pay AND is in an MOS that is in high demand for that reserve branch.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I always wondered something similar. DH was AD for 4 years, got out and joined the Reserves for 2 years, and has now been AD for 12 years. His pay right now is based off all those years together.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    he can't join the reserves after retirement.

well he can if he is 35 or younger and gives up his retirement pay AND is in an MOS that is in high demand for that reserve branch.
    Thanks. He won't be under 35 and giving up the retirement pay seems like it would defeat the purpose. I could have sworn that we've talked to people who retired Os (so they weren't under 35) and were still doing some sort of reserve duty.

But if it's not an option, then we don't need to try and figure out if he'd be interested in doing it!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    I always wondered something similar. DH was AD for 4 years, got out and joined the Reserves for 2 years, and has now been AD for 12 years. His pay right now is based off all those years together.
    DH did 7, got out, did 3 years reserves and went back in and will retire in OCT with 23 years in, but he cannot enlist in the reserves, he is too old and does not want to give up his retirement.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    DH did 7, got out, did 3 years reserves and went back in and will retire in OCT with 23 years in, but he cannot enlist in the reserves, he is too old and does not want to give up his retirement.
    Will his retirement pay reflect all those years or just the AD years?
  7. Banned
    Banned
    his retirement py will reflect the 3 years active reserves.

he is technically retiring at 20 years time in service but 23 years for pay.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Ok. Thank you!! He signs a new contract soon that will take him to 21. We'll have to see after that.
  9. Senior Member
    is there a reason he wouldn't want to retire at 20, but not continue active? He just likes his job? My DH is similar and when we had been looking into guard/reserves we were scared off by the difference in retirement. But then we found out about AGR so we will be going with that, he won't be quite at 20 normal AD by the time we do that but he will be nearly and will likely go beyond 20 with the AGR. And the retirement is the same as AD.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    is there a reason he wouldn't want to retire at 20, but not continue active? He just likes his job? My DH is similar and when we had been looking into guard/reserves we were scared off by the difference in retirement. But then we found out about AGR so we will be going with that, he won't be quite at 20 normal AD by the time we do that but he will be nearly and will likely go beyond 20 with the AGR. And the retirement is the same as AD.
    If I am understanding what you are asking correctly, I think that at 20 years, he kind of wants to do something else.

There are a few possibilities that might cause him to stay in past 20, but not a lot, and those all involve him just staying in. I'm not super familiar with any other option or with how the AGR works, but I think that if he decides to get out, it will to be to pursue a civilian career.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast