Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active Reserves?

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    what is ART? Wondering if it is different. Is your DH talking about Active Guard Reserves, AGR? If it is that then it's basically like active duty, you get the same retirement as AD and all that fun jazz. It really depends on your DH's job in the military how many AGR positions there are and what that all entails. For my DH it would be just as full time as AD, work everyday etc.
    I think this is what he is talking about. I will have to ask him when he gets home.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    you do know that he can and will deploy with a reserve unit? that he will still have to do trainings, field days, schools, possible over night duty?

you can do google search for the state AGR job vacancies.
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We know a few people with AGR jobs and for dhs career field they are pretty awesome. Benefits of AD without deployments. But a lot of paperwork and coordinating, which is vastly different from the regular job in his case. Not sure if that's true for all of them though. They can be hard to find and qualify for though. I would imagine liking it or hating it would depend on the career field and personality.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    We know a few people with AGR jobs and for dhs career field they are pretty awesome. Benefits of AD without deployments. But a lot of paperwork and coordinating, which is vastly different from the regular job in his case. Not sure if that's true for all of them though. They can be hard to find and qualify for though. I would imagine liking it or hating it would depend on the career field and personality.
    Yep, they have a ton up here in Alaska. At least 6 in DH's career field here that work full time with them and get all the benefits.
  5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    what is ART? Wondering if it is different. Is your DH talking about Active Guard Reserves, AGR? If it is that then it's basically like active duty, you get the same retirement as AD and all that fun jazz. It really depends on your DH's job in the military how many AGR positions there are and what that all entails. For my DH it would be just as full time as AD, work everyday etc.
    Air Force Reserve Command - Jobs

"An Air Reserve Technician (ART) carries dual status, working as a full-time Department of Defense civil service employee and as Reservist performing the same job in an Air Force Reserve Command unit.

ARTs are full-time civilian employees who are required to serve as members of the Air Force Reserve one weekend a month and at least 14 days a year of annual training. On these weekend Unit Training Assemblies (UTAs) and during their annual two-week tour of duty, ARTs train with fellow reservists.

During the normal five-day workweek, ARTs perform as civilians, maintaining and operating reserve facilities in direct support of their unit."
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you do know that he can and will deploy with a reserve unit? that he will still have to do trainings, field days, schools, possible over night duty?

you can do google search for the state AGR job vacancies.
    Yes I know he will still have to do this stuff. It is more about being able to stay in one location and not move around.

Thanks I will look into that.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwickham View Post
    Air Force Reserve Command - Jobs

"An Air Reserve Technician (ART) carries dual status, working as a full-time Department of Defense civil service employee and as Reservist performing the same job in an Air Force Reserve Command unit.

ARTs are full-time civilian employees who are required to serve as members of the Air Force Reserve one weekend a month and at least 14 days a year of annual training. On these weekend Unit Training Assemblies (UTAs) and during their annual two-week tour of duty, ARTs train with fellow reservists.

During the normal five-day workweek, ARTs perform as civilians, maintaining and operating reserve facilities in direct support of their unit."
    Thank you this is good information!
  8. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    I don't have a ton of info but my brother-in-law is Army AGR and they (he and my sister) DO have to move every 3-5 years. They don't have to move to a base, just near a reserve unit, so they have a lot of choices but they do still have to move. And they cannot pick anything in the same state or surrounding states. Obviously I don't know your exact situation but I just wanted to let you know that.
  9. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    I don't have a ton of info but my brother-in-law is Army AGR and they (he and my sister) DO have to move every 3-5 years. They don't have to move to a base, just near a reserve unit, so they have a lot of choices but they do still have to move. And they cannot pick anything in the same state or surrounding states. Obviously I don't know your exact situation but I just wanted to let you know that.
    Thanks. Didn't know that. I really don't want him to get out . its just nerve racking with all these changes going on and I like to get as much information as possible!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12