Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on Separating from the Military

1. Senior Member

Information on Separating from the Military

Advertisements
    DH is thinking about getting out of the Air Force once his contract is up. Does anyone have any good sources with info about separating? Can be general about what to expect or think about and plan for, or can be more specific to one part of separating. We're just starting to look into this so anything helps!
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

DH separated once (we met right after). There was nothing super special about it. He had a job lined up and basically just PCSed to his home of record (where his job was lined up) from Spang. He stayed with family for a night or two before finding an apartment. His vehicle was shipped to a port three states away, so that was the biggest hassle of anything I think.

I don't really have any resources, but I'm sure the A+FRC would have some good info, and they do the separating seminar thing I think?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    DH separated once (we met right after). There was nothing super special about it. He had a job lined up and basically just PCSed to his home of record (where his job was lined up) from Spang. He stayed with family for a night or two before finding an apartment. His vehicle was shipped to a port three states away, so that was the biggest hassle of anything I think.

I don't really have any resources, but I'm sure the A+FRC would have some good info, and they do the separating seminar thing I think?
    The AFRC does have a 2 day class for it. DH is coming back from deployment in January so I am thinking we should go to it just to get more information before we make our decision.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    there is not really much to it, there is the TAPS class that covers the VA, resumes, PCS entitlements, and Tricare.
  5. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    No info but your thread title scared me... I wasn't expecting it to be about getting out of the military for some reason
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Justangelyn View Post
    No info but your thread title scared me... I wasn't expecting it to be about getting out of the military for some reason

The thread title made my stomach sink! Don't do that!

My best advice is check at the A&FRC and attend as many classes as you can for yourself regarding employment help and also attend anything that he has to attend if spouses are welcome. TAPS covers a lot of information in a short period of time so having two sets of ears processing the information will help tremendously.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justangelyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

The thread title made my stomach sink! Don't do that!

My best advice is check at the A&FRC and attend as many classes as you can for yourself regarding employment help and also attend anything that he has to attend if spouses are welcome. TAPS covers a lot of information in a short period of time so having two sets of ears processing the information will help tremendously.
    Omg, didn't even think about that guys No worries on that front!

Thanks! I was thinking about going to all those little classes they have like resume writing, etc. By the time we PCS I will have not had a job for 4 years so I think that will hurt me a little on the job front. At least I've been in school the majority of the time though.

I've been reading a bunch and it seems as though the big thing is to just have a good amount of accessible cash in case we can't get jobs right away or don't have anything lined up by the time we're moving back. If he does get out, DH's dad has a second home just outside the city we want to move to, so we can live there for a few months which will help a TON for the transition. It's looking like we're pretty set, just have to make the decision once he gets back from deployment and settles back in. I am such a planner I don't like not knowing

ETA: I changed the thread title
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought you said before you bank with USAA ... there's a department that's set up to help people transition out of the military because it's a huge step! The line to that department is 1-800-531-8272 (that's not the regular customer service line, it's for military separations). Even if you're not a member you can get some good advice.

The website also tools for separation assessments and a separation checklist
    www.usaa.com/leavingthemilitary
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought you said before you bank with USAA ... there's a department that's set up to help people transition out of the military because it's a huge step! The line to that department is 1-800-531-8272 (that's not the regular customer service line, it's for military separations). Even if you're not a member you can get some good advice.

The website also tools for separation assessments and a separation checklist
    www.usaa.com/leavingthemilitary
    We do bank with USAA. Awesome, thanks!
  10. Banned
    Banned
    For marines, they make them go through a lot of classes prior, to explain benefits, resumes, etc. went through some of that with my ex before he seperated.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast