Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: VA neurology appointment??

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

VA neurology appointment??

Advertisements
    Dh was recently told that in order to continue the process for his VA disability claim, he had to have a neurology appointment. He was never diagnosed with PTSD or anything and now thinks they're going to tell him he's crazy or something Anyone else's SO had to do a neurology exam for the VA claim? Any ideas what it might be for? The injuries he's claiming are all bone/joint related
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Dh was recently told that in order to continue the process for his VA disability claim, he had to have a neurology appointment. He was never diagnosed with PTSD or anything and now thinks they're going to tell him he's crazy or something Anyone else's SO had to do a neurology exam for the VA claim? Any ideas what it might be for? The injuries he's claiming are all bone/joint related

I have literally no experience with this, so I don't put any weight in what I say. Maybe it's just a screening process in order to make sure they cover all of their bases?
  3. Senior Member
    I have no experience with this either, but knowing that neurology doesn't just have to do with nerves in the brain maybe they're ruling out nearby nerves causing the bone/joint issues.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." -John Milton
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Maybe they want to rule out TBD?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Neurologists don't diagnose people as "crazy" so you don't need to worry about that psychiatrists are the doctors who deal with psychiatric disorders such as PTSD. Neurologists deal with disorders of the brain. Things like epilepsy, CP, strokes, and migraines. It's hard to know why they set up an appointment for your DH but it is most likely not for PTSD since neurologists are not trained to treat or diagnose PTSD.
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I don't think neurologists generally tell people they're crazy (). I went to one for migraines. Could be any number of things they want to check. And I did have an MRI of my brain done to check on a cause of numbness but that was on base, not at a neurologist office. Can he call his PCM or the VA and ask what the reason is? I would probably do that, better to know than to worry.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    Neurologists don't diagnose people as "crazy" so you don't need to worry about that psychiatrists are the doctors who deal with psychiatric disorders such as PTSD. Neurologists deal with disorders of the brain. Things like epilepsy, CP, strokes, and migraines. It's hard to know why they set up an appointment for your DH but it is most likely not for PTSD since neurologists are not trained to treat or diagnose PTSD.
    This
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    I blame him! He told me that he was worried about crazy and that it was also a neurologist so maybe he got mixed up? I think he was worried because the guy seemed very insistent that he come in and got him an appointment next week already (unheard of in the VA system! :gasp) .... Dh hasn't had seizures or anything. Now i'm super curious why they need him to come in!

ETA: And by worried about crazy I should specify that he is concerned about his Asperger's diagnosis being problematic with his VA claim and/or making other people treat him differently.

Do neurologists deal with Autism disorders? Dh's diagnosis happened outside the military although it was entered into his medical record.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I blame him! He told me that he was worried about crazy and that it was also a neurologist so maybe he got mixed up? I think he was worried because the guy seemed very insistent that he come in and got him an appointment next week already (unheard of in the VA system! :gasp) .... Dh hasn't had seizures or anything. Now i'm super curious why they need him to come in!

ETA: And by worried about crazy I should specify that he is concerned about his Asperger's diagnosis being problematic with his VA claim and/or making other people treat him differently.

Do neurologists deal with Autism disorders? Dh's diagnosis happened outside the military although it was entered into his medical record.
    Aspergers/ASDs are a grey area and can be evaluated either by a psychiatrist or neurologist. So that may be why he was referred. But again, it is really hard to know. The VA doesn't always do things that make sense
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have muscular/skeletal issues and have seen a neurologist. With joint pain and injury, seeing a neurologist will help to diagnose/rule out that any of the pain/injury is nerve related. I was referred by the neurologist for Xray, MRI and neural pathway testing to help in my diagnosis, because with joint issues especially, symptoms overlap and some diagnoses are as much a matter of ruling out what it isn't as they are testing for what they are.

I hope that made sense. It makes sense in my brain, but my brain is a pretty scattered place sometimes.