Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance & Tricare as secondary

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Insurance & Tricare as secondary

Advertisements
    I wasn't sure of a proper title, but here is my question, or what not.

Would it be better if either of us got insurance through our employer and use Tricare as a secondary?
    If we did this, could we still use an MTF?

What about Dental?
    How does getting dental through employer and using MetLife as a secondary work?

TIA

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. Senior Member

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that TriCare has to be primary, and can't be secondary. But I can't remember where I read that, so it could be totally inaccurate...

3. Senior Member
    I thought Tricare was always secondary. I'm in MD and the clinics here aren't taking retirees at all at this time.

Your doctor would have to accept your other insurance and I'd be surprised if the MTF clinic's doctors accept both since they work at the clinic, not in a practice per se.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Our clinic here is 90% civilian doctors... well, the one I go to is. Its an MTF but the doctors and nurses are all civilian.

The MTF always asks if I have any other insurance.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    The MTF always asks if I have any other insurance.
    That is because Tricare is always secondary. You would need to call the MTF and ask them if they would still see you even if you have another insurance. If they are at or near capacity, they may not. And if this question is for after retirement, you need to ask if that makes a difference.
  6. Senior Member
    I honestly don't know all of the rules and regs, but what I can tell you is my experience. I had my own insurance through work and then added tricare as secondary when I married DH. My primary was Group Health, which means that my primary care provider AND insurance was handled through the same company. That said, if Group Health offered a particular service but it was not covered by their own insurance, that did not necessarily mean that tricare would pick it up. I ended up going through 13 months of trying to get one or the other to pay for a service that I thought was covered and the insurance companies were playing the back-and-forth game with me, while my hospital bill was close to going to collections. Tricare kept refusing to pay because "it was a service offered by the other company" and Group Health didn't want to pay it because "although offered, it did not fall under my specific health plan." So, I was double insured, but stuck with 100% of the bill. Eventually, tricare agreed to pay for enough of it that we could afford to pay the rest, but it was a NIGHTMARE. After that experience, I dropped Group Health and used Tricare as primary and have been much happier.

In terms of Dental, since tricare contracts that out to MetLife or whatever, it is handled a little better. I have been able to easily combine my primary dental with tricare and all is fine and dandy.
  7. Senior Member
    Our clinic here is 90% civilian doctors... well, the one I go to is. Its an MTF but the doctors and nurses are all civilian.>>

Many MTF's are like that. But that does not mean that those doctors take other insurance, BCBS/Aetna, etc, especially when that insurance is primary and they are in a Tricare clinic.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    This is for retirement.

I am just getting all the info I can to make an informed decision. I don't want to change doctors, at all. So it seems keeping Tricare is my best option, thus far. Since we (kids and I) are already at this particular clinic, we don't have to worry about switching. As long as we are in the system, they said it doesn't matter if we switch from prime to retired (or whatever its called).

9. Senior Member
    As long as we are in the system, they said it doesn't matter if we switch from prime to retired (or whatever its called). >>

That is what they said when I enrolled here after moving, then two months later they were no longer taking retirees and there was no grandfathering. They also started kicking out retirees already in the clinic. Retirees are always on a space available basis and if there is no space, they are gone. Good luck to you!
  10. Banned
    Banned
    if Tricare is secondary you cannot use an MTF-
    Tricare is always secondary to private insurance.

We are keeping Tricare standard for at least a year to weigh the costs.

Tricare dental changes drastically for retirees, and we have decided to go with a private company or go without dental insurance for now- we have to weigh the costs of both. since DH and I both have healthy teeth and gums, we see the dentist once a year- my dentist charges 139 for a cleaning and x rays ( annually) so for a cleaning for both of us it is 278 a year. the cheapest dental I found was 56 dollars a month- 672 a year.

we did go with Navy Mutual for Life insurance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast