Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Involuntary Separation (USMC)

1. Regular Member

Help Involuntary Separation (USMC)

Advertisements
    Hey Friends!
    I have a few questions. My DH's EAS is in Jan '13 because of the Sgt HYT he is being involuntarily separated. We are supposed to get separations pay and his package has been routed and entered as of today. He brought home a print out of the DD2648 which is the Pre separation Counseling Checklist. On line 22 it states 2-year Commissary and Exchange Privileges (Eligible Involuntary Separatees).

Have any of you went through this or know of anyone and is the 2 year privileges still offered? I see it on the sheet but reading some of the posts on here, no one ever mentions it.

Has anyone taken advantage of the 180 Tricare coverage after his EAS? How early can we start getting that in motion?

He's been sending out his resume but if he doesn't secure a job with benefits, it's good to know we'll have a few months while the job search continues.

His TRS class isn't for another 2 weeks and me being the planner, I want to plan things out so we aren't unorganized come Jan. So if anyone can answer any of this or give words of wisdom, please do! Thanks so much!
    Last edited by jaysbrneyedgirl; 10-11-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Specified what kind of coverage

Jay + Robin = Tweethearts
  2. Moderator

Last I heard, the commissary and exchange privileges were still there.

His TAPS class will really help him better understand everything. It's a great resource.

Also, if you can, head over to a Marine Corps Family Team Building office. They can answer a lot of questions that you, personally, may have.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I have so many answers for you but I only have my phone to type on! So I will do my best.

dh was involuntarily separated due to HYT in July. The 180 of tricare has been amazing. Seriously, sign up for it. You can do it on his eas date, I believe.

for Sep. Pay, you may not end up getting much At All. Depending on whether he is "eligible for retention" or not he can get 50 or 100% Sep pay.

dh was only eligible for 50, and once they subtracted his remaining reenlistment bonus we.got like 2000$. AND your dh will have to sign up with the inactive or active reserves to receive.this money.

I dunno about the commisary benefits we never go there anyways.

for.jobs, he could work with a headhunting company. dh just started his new job 2 weeks ago and LOVES it. He makes more $$ than he did in the military too.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Last I heard, the commissary and exchange privileges were still there.

His TAPS class will really help him better understand everything. It's a great resource.

Also, if you can, head over to a Marine Corps Family Team Building office. They can answer a lot of questions that you, personally, may have.
    Thank you so much Twistertwin! I haven't heard otherwise and even if we go back to our home of record we will be by a base so, if we still rate that then we will definitely take advantage of that extension of our benefits! I will definitely head to the MC Family Team Building office. I got myself so familiarized with how things run being enlisted that getting out is all new and overwhelming.

5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I have so many answers for you but I only have my phone to type on! So I will do my best.

dh was involuntarily separated due to HYT in July. The 180 of tricare has been amazing. Seriously, sign up for it. You can do it on his eas date, I believe.

for Sep. Pay, you may not end up getting much At All. Depending on whether he is "eligible for retention" or not he can get 50 or 100% Sep pay.

dh was only eligible for 50, and once they subtracted his remaining reenlistment bonus we.got like 2000$. AND your dh will have to sign up with the inactive or active reserves to receive.this money.

I dunno about the commisary benefits we never go there anyways.

for.jobs, he could work with a headhunting company. dh just started his new job 2 weeks ago and LOVES it. He makes more $$ than he did in the military too.
    Thanks rocket_lizz this whole process is confusing because things seem to change from person to person! LOL Yes, my DH is eligible for retention. No pg 11s or anything. As for going inactive reserves, he's a retread so the first time he got out he already did that. This is will be interesting to see how this goes.

He came home to say that he could not submit his package because of the shutdown. We'll have to wait a little bit, I guess to see what we get.

The getting out without insurance coverage scared me so much because we have kids involved in sports, if we didn't have coverage, I'd have to rethink sports until DH finds a position. I will let him know about the headhunting companies. This experience is driving me batty! LOL I thought I had a hard time adjusting to this lifestyle, after 12 years I think this is way harder

6. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    My stbxh was IS (USMC) back in Aug due to HYT. He received full separation pay and the two years of commissary and exchange privileges. Actually, I still need to get my new ID.
    Pax, Aeon