Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for DB getting out of the Navy?

1. Regular Member

Advice for DB getting out of the Navy?

Advertisements
    My boyfriend is currently deployed on his first deployment. His contract is up in March and he is wanting to get out but is scared of transitioning back to civilian life. Has anyone been through this and have any advice either for him or for me to help the transition easier? He's hoping to get another job before he gets out but isn't sure what he wants to do. Any advice would be awesome!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

What is his rate? Does he want to do something similar in the civilian world?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Regular Member
    His rate is AD, and yes, he loves what he does, we have Boeing about an hour away and a huge airport about 2 hours (we would move). He just doesn't know how to even go about it and what getting out intales. By the time he gets back home he'll only have a few months left. I'm not big on all the military terminology, we've been together a year and a half and I still haven't learned even half of it FYI! S I have no idea what AD even stands for. He's told me a million times and I just can't remember
  4. Banned
    Banned
    he will go to a TAPS class, and they will help him do a resume talk to him about VA stuff, the GI bill ect.
    TAPS is transitional Assistance Program ( I think)

he can do his own resume and post it on monster.com
    Hero2hire.com is a great resource for those getting out.

does he need special certificates to work on the planes for boeing? this he can look up on monster.com under the job listing.
  5. Senior Member
    To me, if he is serious about getting a specific king of job, he needs to be open to moving, and not just a couple hours away, but to anywhere in the U.S. The moment he limits himself geographically, he also tremendously decreases his chances of finding a job.

He should start looking for a job as soon as possible. He should also start saving up leave so he has as much terminal leave as possible, which means more time being paid by the Navy after he's done working, so he has a paycheck while he job searches. (Terminal leave is just vacation time he has after his last day of work, so he is still getting paid but he's done going to work.)

Mostly, finding a job is just writing a good resume and then spending a ton of time doing research and applying for jobs. Sites like Monster are fine, but most good jobs will be found through company websites and places like that, not general job websites, so he shouldn't make the mistake of just focusing on the big job sites. And he needs to remember that this isn't a forever job so if he can't get a job at a place like Boeing and he has to start at a smaller place, that's what he should do and he can get some experience and then move up. Just getting out, he may not be able to land the kinds of jobs he dreams of or the jobs that are equivalent to what he's doing now as far as responsibility and pay.

He also needs to think about health care. People grossly underestimate the cost of paying for their own, and the awfulness of going without. So he needs to look for jobs with healthcare and realize that it is worth taking a job that pays less in order to have that. Many people who have been in the Navy for all of their adult working years think that $5k extra in pay is better than healthcare, and that can be a huge mistake.

TAPS class will help somewhat. They show how to write a resume, go over what he is eligible for as he gets out, etc. He should look into doing it as soon as he can, which might mean signing up for the class while he's still deployed so he can have a spot for the earliest class possible.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    my husband just retired after 26 years ,he was an ADCS (aviation machinist mate ,btw),,he started his terminal leave in May and was already looking before that , TAPS didnt offer him much help or information at all,the most advice I can give you is prepare him for how hard the job market is,,we were very fortunate that my husband found a great job with a major airlines here but I know that is not the norm especially where we are living,,,have him get his resume looked at and corrected if need be,have him look on craigslist and encourage him to apply for jobs that may not be his dream job just so that he can gain some civillian work experience , have him look at USA jobs for federal jobs
    WE are fortunate the we don't have to worry about healthcare but that is an excellent point
  7. Regular Member
    We are willing to go anywhere, we were just keeping Boeing as an option since its so close, and I have a friend who's husband is a manager there and could help him get all the qualifications he needs if any. I just didn't know how it worked with all his leave and stuff, he has over 50 days saved up, does he take that all before he gets out or do they cash it out at the end or how does that work?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by casunshyne09 View Post
    I just didn't know how it worked with all his leave and stuff, he has over 50 days saved up, does he take that all before he gets out or do they cash it out at the end or how does that work?
    He can do either or split it up so he does both.
  9. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    He needs to start working on his resume now. He should be saving every penny he can so he can survive for about 6 months post separation once he gets out. He should be getting scheduled for TAP as soon as he returns. He can go to the FSC there on NAS and they can assist him with writing his resume and give him some info on getting out. USA Jobs is a good resource for govt jobs. He should also be searching Govt Contractor positions, etc. He needs to get in touch with the DAV rep there and set up an appointmet to get his disability paperwork together and contact medical to get a copy of his medical record.

This is NOT an easy time to get out and jobs in the civilian sector are difficult to obtain. Govt jobs are even worse with many agencies only hiriing within.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    You've gotten some good advice thus far. I'll chime in with a bit more since DH just got out in July after 8 years.
    1) Your DB absolutely should go to TAPS. Some commands may give trouble about it but they're required to let the soon-to-be-separated person attend. He will learn a lot. Also, look into longer transitions programs. My DH just did one called ReBoot. It lasted 3 weeks, was hosted by a non-profit veterans organization, and was VERY helpful with everything from job searching to networking to personal counseling and VA help. I would highly recommend your DB find something similar.

2) Does he plan on school at all? If so, I can give you some more info about him using his GI Bill.

3) Some people may disagree with me BUT....headhunting companies. Your DB, if he wants to stay in a field similar to his military job, should sign up with headhunting companies. DH is working with Orion right now and he got 5 interviews in 1 week for technical jobs that were similar to his navy stuff, and they're GOOD jobs. Well paying, benefits, etc. He's flying to Detroit next week for a final-round interview with an industrial laser-making company.

4) Your DB can sign up for BDD (benefits delivery at discharge) on the military's e-benefits website. https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefi...enefits.portal If he selects BDD on the website, he will start the process to sign up for disability through the VA. You have to have more than 6 months left so he should do it soon. That way, he won't have to wait until he's discharged to start the VA process. If he waits until he has less than 6 months, it's called something else (sorry, forgot!)

5. Does he have to do reserves? If his contact isn't long enough, he may have to do reserves anyways. He should consider the active reserves. Still get to keep some health insurance, get some pay. It would probably be easier to be drilling reserves while in school rather than while working a full-time job though.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast