Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA rating time length! HELP. Seperating from Army

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

VA rating time length! HELP. Seperating from Army

Advertisements
    To begin with my name is Ashley, my SO and I have been dating for about a year and a half now. He was deployed in Afghanistan back in March 2012, a few months later he was sent to Hawaii in July 2012 (where he was stationed at) due to medical probs. He was told to check into the medical board evaluation.
    Months went by without knowing what was going to happen or if he was staying in the Army. Finally, at the end of February 2013, he was allowed to take leave. I was so happy but the month with him went by quickly. As soon as he got back they told him his profile for med evaluation had been started. At the end of June he was allowed 2 weeks of leave but couldn't leave the island due to his process, so I flew to see him and the time we spent together there was amazing. A day after I left I was really depressed and felt like I was coming off of a "high" of being with him to a depressing "low".

It has now been a week since I told him goodbye at the airport, and all I can think about now is missing him and wanting his process and separation to be complete. I was wondering does anyone have experience through this type of situation? Currently his paperwork was sent to the VA for ratings about a week and a half ago.

Sorry my post is so long! Just need some hope until this is over with lol
    About how long will the VA rating process take on average?
  2. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    VA rating can take months, but it has nothing to do with the actual separation process. They're two different banks of money. It is encouraged to start the rating process when you're in because you won't have to wait quite as long for funds, but if he's being medically separated, the VA rating portion is separate.

If you're talking about the Physical Evaluation Board and how long that takes, I have no idea. My DB was not medically separated, but receives monthly disability through the VA and we've been to countless seminars hosted by both the USMC and VA on disability and the VA rating process. The scales used by the VA and the PEB are the same, but they are different entities.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  3. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for answering. I guess I just need to have my fingers crossed and be patient. I am hoping around Christmas maybe but the Army is slow with things. haha
  4. Senior Member
    Not to concern you, but when I saw my kids' doctor (he got out of the Navy and into private practice), the VA still hadn't processed his paperwork 19 months out of the service. He wrote to the Congressman and they told him they had 64 people ahead of him and he told me was just grateful he was a doc making good money but a lot of others don't have that luxury. So his recommendation to my DH was to start as soon as he knows he is retiring cause it takes awhile
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  5. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Well the thing I am most concerned about is how long it will take him until he gets out. Not so much the VA money or whatever
  6. Banned
    Banned
    for med sep it can take 4-12 months- depending on how fast they want to process him and if he needs continued medical care,
    for the VA Stuff it can take 24 months.
  7. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    I just spoke with a patients husband that just went through the med board process here and with the push for troop reduction, they are spreading the process up, but it can still take upwards of 6 months or more. Depends on the location.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    for med sep it can take 4-12 months- depending on how fast they want to process him and if he needs continued medical care,

We were fortunate, DH's VA stuff only took about six months from start to finish.
  9. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post

We were fortunate, DH's VA stuff only took about six months from start to finish.
    I wish this could be the case! DB's profile is for mental reasons if that makes any difference. lol
  10. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    He officially started his Medical Board Profile in March..so possibly 0-7 months hmm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast