Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA Benefits??? Spin off

1. Senior Member

VA Benefits??? Spin off

Advertisements
    How do you determine what percentage of VA you'll earn???

DH has a lot of problems documented. He had TBI, PTSD, Compartment Syndrome in both legs, Loss or hearing and vision from an explosion, back problems, and athletes foot in basic.

Baby you are just so amazing.....
    everything you have done without me there is unbelievable.
    The person that I married is the person I want by my side the rest of my life
    and I can't wait to get back to her. ~DH~
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The simple answer is that *you* don't - you can have two people with seemingly identical issues that will receive different ratings by the board There are times there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to their determinations. It's really just a matter of waiting and going through the process when the time comes.
  3. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    The simple answer is that *you* don't - you can have two people with seemingly identical issues that will receive different ratings by the board There are times there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to their determinations. It's really just a matter of waiting and going through the process when the time comes.
  4. Senior Member
    DH had told me years ago that athletes foot was 10% but if theres no way to determine thats pretty shitty. You would never know if you aren't getting the benefits you deserve.

5. "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    Yepp there is no way to know. DH has a ton of issues... he got 10%. We are appealing the decision though because the drs here were a little odd with the examinations they did.
  6. Senior Member
    You can't determine it at all.

Your husband needs to get a copy/make a copy of all his medical records. He then takes it to VA and they look though his medical records and any other paperwork that they request from him and then they make a determination. If he is still in the service then he can't get a determination yet but he can go to VA and find out what paperwork he will need. They can help him to assemble his packet so it is ready to be submitted once he is out.

If he is in the National Guard/Reserves he can go and get his packet started now. You can get a determination and receive disability checks while in the Guard or Reserves but not while on Active duty. If you are in the Guard or Reserve and receiving a check and are activated, you go to your VA office and suspend the checks. Once he is back and off Active Duty then he goes back to the VA and starts everything again.

The VA does assign percentages to each each injury that is documented in his file.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    You can't determine it at all.

Your husband needs to get a copy/make a copy of all his medical records. He then takes it to VA and they look though his medical records and any other paperwork that they request from him and then they make a determination. If he is still in the service then he can't get a determination yet but he can go to VA and find out what paperwork he will need. They can help him to assemble his packet so it is ready to be submitted once he is out.

If he is in the National Guard/Reserves he can go and get his packet started now. You can get a determination and receive disability checks while in the Guard or Reserves but not while on Active duty. If you are in the Guard or Reserve and receiving a check and are activated, you go to your VA office and suspend the checks. Once he is back and off Active Duty then he goes back to the VA and starts everything again.

The VA does assign percentages to each each injury that is documented in his file.
    Right now hes planning on switching to reserves in 2 years so it would probably be a good idea to get his packet started then. Thank you for the input.

8. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MpWyfe10 View Post
    DH had told me years ago that athletes foot was 10% but if theres no way to determine thats pretty shitty. You would never know if you aren't getting the benefits you deserve.
    Im confused about this. Are you talking about a fungal infection that's easily treatable?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacn View Post
    Im confused about this. Are you talking about a fungal infection that's easily treatable?
    Yeah, that's what DH said. I thought it sounded a little high though

10. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MpWyfe10 View Post
    Yeah, that's what DH said. I thought it sounded a little high though
    I highly doubt getting athletes foot is something the VA would compensate you for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast