Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Stressing Out

1. Senior Member

Stressing Out

Advertisements
    Well I am currently on separation leave soon to be a civilian again at the end of the month. I'll be going to school and will hopefully be working as well. The only thing is I have yet to find a job. DH and I bought a house here in Hawaii about 2 years ago thinking I'd be able to stay in the Navy. But my PTS got denied. I've been looking for a job, but haven't found anything yet. Most are in Honolulu which stinks because I live in Waipahu and traffic would be horrendous. I don't know if it would even be worth it, spending all that money on gas and hardly making anything. I don't have my degree yet so making decent money is going to be difficult. I'm trying not to freak out but part of me just wants to break down and cry. Sure I'll be getting BAH using my GI Bill and my DH will get extra with me as a dependent, but I'm worried we won't be able to afford the mortgage. We can always get a roommate I suppose, but I have a difficult time trusting people. And on top of finding a job and worrying about money, I just saw my syllabus for one of my classes and I want to Four tests, four papers, one final project, plus reading 2 chapters a week and 3 discussions a week. And this is just for one ten week class! I wish I could have stayed in the Navy! This civilian life is looking difficult!!!
  2. Senior Member
    Does two BAH's not cover your mortgage? I'm kind of confused truthfully. I hope it all works out.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Wishing you well as you transition & beyond!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Does two BAH's not cover your mortgage? I'm kind of confused truthfully. I hope it all works out.
    It does, but with other bills (car payment, etc.) it will be tight. Just stressing out really. I'm sure we'll be fine.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara87 View Post
    It does, but with other bills (car payment, etc.) it will be tight. Just stressing out really. I'm sure we'll be fine.
    I see. I hope you have a smooth transition.
  6. Senior Member
    Is there a way to budget your finances? (Etc not running the electric/water bill up and save rather than "run it". Public transportation, couponing, and schedule your time).

Renting a room to someone isn't a bad idea also.. in fact, might find a few military members and newlywed couples at the base to rent out to.
    Might be temporary if they're looking for their own house to rent/buy, but at least its some spare change going into utilities. Just use any left over money to save for any repairments in the house.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    for the gas, IMO if you even bring in an extra 100 dollars a week ( that is 400 a month) it is well worth getting a job. also once you start working there is a really good chance you can carpool with someone else - and taking turns driving or even paying for 1/2 the gas is better than paying 100%

also down size, lower data plans, get rid of cable/satalite, stop eating out, start using coupons, clean out the garage and the closests.
    and if your still short-- get a room mate- to help cover the costs.
  8. Senior Member
    I hope everything gets figured out. My DH starts terminal leave tomorrow and gets out at the end of February. We're starting to get stressed too :-/