Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH is getting out

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

DH is getting out

Advertisements
    DH is getting out in July. He said that the military pays to move our stuff as far as his home of record? And since we arent going that far they will move out stuff to where we are moving. Also he plans on turning in his leave instead of taking Terminal. So my question is this other than them moving out stuff, what else comes with getting out? i know he will have to do TAPS( i think is what its called) but what else is there? Also is getting out like PCSing? Do they give you TLA or DLA when you get out like you do when you move? Any advice would be great!! I know they offer transition classes on base, I think Im going to sign up for one of those as well.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I will start with the transitional Leave ( formerly called terminal leave): since he is selling it he will ONLY get base pay, he will not get BAS or BAH and he can only sell 60 days. ( I only recommend selling leave at the end of an enlistment if the member has a job lined up) this can be a huge income loss, if your BAH is even 1,000 dollars it is a loss of 2,000 just in BAH and another 660 in BAS, AND it is taxed at a rate of 28% because it is paid like a bonus.

for the movinf stuff: it is correct that they will pay up to the distance to the HOR for HHG's - so you will be covered there.
    for PCS allowances: you will get Per diem and MALT based on the actual distance from the last duty station to the new location,
    you do not get DLA, TLE or TLA.

your tricare will stop the day he gets out, have a plan on what you will do for insurance right away, remember to factor in the costs for dental and vision when doing your budget.

also you lose all base privledges, no commisary, exchange, free legal services free gym ect.

the biggest thing to understand, is that when he gets out, unless he is willing to stay or go army, NO other branch is accepting prior service, and even for Army right now there is a 6-12 month wait for some prior service to get in.

HTH's
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    I will start with the transitional Leave ( formerly called terminal leave): since he is selling it he will ONLY get base pay, he will not get BAS or BAH and he can only sell 60 days. ( I only recommend selling leave at the end of an enlistment if the member has a job lined up) this can be a huge income loss, if your BAH is even 1,000 dollars it is a loss of 2,000 just in BAH and another 660 in BAS, AND it is taxed at a rate of 28% because it is paid like a bonus.

for the movinf stuff: it is correct that they will pay up to the distance to the HOR for HHG's - so you will be covered there.
    for PCS allowances: you will get Per diem and MALT based on the actual distance from the last duty station to the new location,
    you do not get DLA, TLE or TLA.

your tricare will stop the day he gets out, have a plan on what you will do for insurance right away, remember to factor in the costs for dental and vision when doing your budget.

also you lose all base privledges, no commisary, exchange, free legal services free gym ect.

the biggest thing to understand, is that when he gets out, unless he is willing to stay or go army, NO other branch is accepting prior service, and even for Army right now there is a 6-12 month wait for some prior service to get in.

HTH's
    Thanks! that helps alot! We are trying to make sure he has a job lined up but im glad you told me about the selling back of leave because I did not know that! Also, he will be on inactive reserves for 2years after his EAS in July. I knew we would lose tricare the day he leaves and am looking into health coverage for that already. I know what per diem is but what is MALT, i cant remember.

Thanks, you are always so helpful with these things, i really appreciate it!
  4. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    we were covered on private for 120 days he just has to sign up for it.

we still have not seen his last paycheck and he got out in July. I do not recommend counting on that check. it took a friend of mine seven months to get her last check. she was marines, DH was navy.

5. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    private should say tricare. sorry

6. Banned
    Banned
    MALT is Mileage and is paid when you drive your own vehicle.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    DF had Tri care for an additional 6 months after he got out and we can still go to any commissary at any base. They paid for him coming home....gas all that jazz. It did take us about a month to get all those checks after he got home though.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    we were covered on private for 120 days he just has to sign up for it.

we still have not seen his last paycheck and he got out in July. I do not recommend counting on that check. it took a friend of mine seven months to get her last check. she was marines, DH was navy.
    I looked at the extended coverage, but it says there are certain conditions in which you are eligible and DH doesnt meet them
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    MALT is Mileage and is paid when you drive your own vehicle.
    alright thanks! we will be driving the one car back and will be shipping his motorcycle.
  10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Is pregnancy one of the pre-existing things they will cover? That's something you might want to think about when you time your pregnancy.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast