Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about terminal leave with a medical discharge?

1. Regular Member

Question Question about terminal leave with a medical discharge?

Advertisements
    My soon to be ex-DH was given the month of February for his separation date. He had said many times before that he will be getting 30 days terminal leave. I just asked him this weekend about when that would start and he told me that he is not entitled to terminal leave per say since he has a home address on file and if he would take leave it would just use up leave days that he has on the books (I believe he only has 8 now) that he is hoping to get paid for. He's been in 3 and a half years and is getting out on a medical discharge. I feel that he is lying to me since he knows that I expect him to find his own place and a job when he's on terminal leave, but I wanted to ask anyway to see if I'm wrong.

So for clarification, what is terminal leave, who is entitled to it, and does it take away from the leave days you have on the books? I thought that it was a month that the Navy gave you that did not take away from anything.
  2. Senior Member
    To my knowledge, Terminal leave is the amount of leave days a service member has prior to their ETS date. Hopefully others will have more information and links to it.
  3. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphindm04 View Post
    To my knowledge, Terminal leave is the amount of leave days a service member has prior to their ETS date. Hopefully others will have more information and links to it.
    Yep that's what Terminal leave is. So if he wanted to he could use those 8 days and use them to get out 8 days before his leave date. Or he could turn them in and get paid for them.
  4. Regular Member
    Ah ok. That makes sense. I was just wondering how it went from "I'll have 30 days terminal leave" to nothing. I'm assuming he has 8 days on the books, but he may have more since he has not taken leave much at all all year. Either way I know he's planning on saving any days on the books so he can get paid for them all when he gets out.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy_Em View Post
    Ah ok. That makes sense. I was just wondering how it went from "I'll have 30 days terminal leave" to nothing. I'm assuming he has 8 days on the books, but he may have more since he has not taken leave much at all all year. Either way I know he's planning on saving any days on the books so he can get paid for them all when he gets out.
    DH thought he had 70+ days, but he only had 50 or so when it came time for paperwork from finance....because someone had calculated the days wrong from his unit. You never know!
  6. Senior Member
    It is as prior people said, the number of days of leave time that he has on the books. If he sells them back he will receive his base pay only. He does not receive BAH (housing) or any other special pay when he does this.

He will know how many days he has if he looks at his LES (Leave and earnings statement) less any days he might have used in the prior month.

Having a home address on file has absolutely nothing to do with whether has has terminal leave or not. It is solely dependent on whether he has vacation days left. If he does he can leave the service that many days sooner. Example he has an ETS date of December 15 and he has 10 days of leave saved. He can request to leave the service on Dec 5 and be paid his usual pay for those 10 days. Or he can cash in those days of vacation, leave on the 15th and receive whatever his base pay was for those 10 days for a lump sum.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  7. Regular Member
    Thanks for clarifying everything I thought it sounded a bit fishy that because he had a home address on file he was not entitled to taking terminal leave. It was my understanding that everyone should have a permanent address on file and not just wherever the Navy put you, especially when you're living in geo bachelor housing in the barracks.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    it is now called Transition leave and they are only entitled to what they have on the books.

if he has 8 days now and is getting out in Feb he will acumulate 2.5 days for dec and 2.5 days for Jan and none for Feb, regardless of when he gets out in feb.
    he can either Use it as transition leave and get Base pay, BAH ( if he is receiving it) and BAS for those 13 days.
    if he sells it he will get only base pay for 13 days.