Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MGIB vs. Post 9/11

1. Senior Member

MGIB vs. Post 9/11

Advertisements
    Does anyone have experience with the MGIB or a comparison between the two? I'm 95% sure my husband is eligible for it and we're checking to be sure (He contributed the 100$ a month for the first year or something). I talked to one guy a while back who choose to use the MGIB and suggested it but I don't have contact with him anymore to ask but I find it odd that so few people use it (that I know at least).

From what I can tell with the MGIB if you go to school full time you get the set rate per month (which is like $1,500 something a month). With the post 9/11 they pay your tuition/book stipend/bah. For DH, he is going to start at community college so tuition is only going to be around $1,000 (and will likely be covered by financial aid), and BAH for where we will be is only around $850 a month, so am I right in thinking it would make the most sense to go with the MGIB?

Am I missing anything? Anyone else have experiences with the two or pros and cons to add?
    Last edited by jesskuhmarie; 10-31-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: edited something I said wrong
  2. Senior Member
    If his tuition is $1000/month and BAH is $850 the new GI bill is better. In FL CC $1000 covers almost a full load of tuition a semester. Also GI Bill can change his grant amounts for Pell so not sure how much he will qualify for.

Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

You would need to figure out the cost of tuition and books for where he's going per a semester to really know which is a better deal.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    if tuition is 1,000 a month = and you would get 1500, that leaves 500 after he pays tuition

if he does P 9/11 they will pay the school directly, give him 850 for the housing allowance ( which is called Monthly housing allowance or MHA NOT BAH as BAH in a military pay)
    And give him another 1,000 dollars for books.

My DS started off using the MGIB and after the first year switched to the P 9/11 because it paed better.

really look at the link to compare, but most do better with the 9/11 and then find out what grants he will be elegible for - with the GI bill.
  4. Senior Member
    Oh gosh sorry his tuition is not $1500 a month I totally said that wrong! his tuition would be $1500 for the whole semester! And it would most likely be completely paid with a pell grant. If financial aid covers tuition will the gi bill still pay the school and then you get it refunded?

I've looked over that website and it seems that we would get more from the MGIB. However it all seems so complicated so I feel like I could easily be missing something.
    Last edited by jesskuhmarie; 11-01-2012 at 05:56 AM.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jesskuhmarie View Post
    Oh gosh sorry his tuition is not $1500 a month I totally said that wrong! his tuition would be $1500 for the whole semester! And it would most likely be completely paid with a pell grant. If financial aid covers tuition will the gi bill still pay the school and then you get it refunded?

I've looked over that website and it seems that we would get more from the MGIB. However it all seems so complicated so I feel like I couldnt easily be missing something.

the GI bill will not pay at all until the pell grant is used up, the GI bill is to pay for school , they will not pay for something that has already been paid.
  6. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    You can go to your post's Ed Center and talk to a staff member there about it. There will be a staff member who has been well educated by the Army and GoArmyEd in the differences between the GI Bills and which would be better for the soldier. Ed Center staff will also be able to easily look up which GI Bill your spouse has.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the GI bill will not pay at all until the pell grant is used up, the GI bill is to pay for school , they will not pay for something that has already been paid.
    That's what I thought, so he would be better off using the MGIB probably?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    You can go to your post's Ed Center and talk to a staff member there about it. There will be a staff member who has been well educated by the Army and GoArmyEd in the differences between the GI Bills and which would be better for the soldier. Ed Center staff will also be able to easily look up which GI Bill your spouse has.
    Thanks for the information. I figured there should be somewhere on base that could help him figure it all out, and help do the paperwork (I printed the one for the MGIB and it was 12 pages long and sooo confusing). I told him to try to find someone to help on base but he didn't know where to start so I will let him know that!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    he can go to the ed office on base and to the VA rep at the school.
  9. Junior Member
    My husband received PELL at the same time as using his MGIB He was receiving a scholarship from the air force that covered his tuition and used his MGIB to pay for rent etc since he would not have been able to use the P 9/11 due to the scholarship. He had also paid an extra amount per month to receive the top-up for the MGIB so he was getting around $1600 a month.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    he can go to the ed office on base and to the VA rep at the school.
    I told him about the Ed office so he's going to try to go when he gets back from the field next week. We aren't near the school right now and won't be until about a week before classes start in January because he doesn't start terminal leave until December 20th. Darn and that makes me think of something else I bet they won't start paying his benefits the first month because he doesn't ETS until Jan 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    My husband received PELL at the same time as using his MGIB He was receiving a scholarship from the air force that covered his tuition and used his MGIB to pay for rent etc since he would not have been able to use the P 9/11 due to the scholarship. He had also paid an extra amount per month to receive the top-up for the MGIB so he was getting around $1600 a month.
    Cool thanks for the information! He went to finance to make sure he paid in like he thought and he did but he didn't do the kicker. But they told him he can still do it which is awesome I thought he would have had to do it in the beginning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast