Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: He's getting out!

1. Senior Member

He's getting out!

Advertisements
    In the next 2-3 months. My DH was planning on extending/re-enlisting, but he would have to stay longer on his ship than thought, and would have to do another 6-9 month deployment. It's not worth it to us. I am happy, but scared shitless nonetheless. I wanted him to stay in, but I'm definitely excited to go back to MA to see my family/friends. I am really nervous because he doesn't have any job leads quite yet, and I really DONT want to live with my crazy inlaws again.

If your dh got out of the military, how did you guys manage? We have such short notice (we planned on him extending) that we haven't been able to build a savings account.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DH's decision to not re-enlist was sudden for me too, especially since before then he had told me he planned on going career!

Having a savings account is definitely good for peace of mind ... but you can still work around that, do you have a budget? Even though you only have a few months that is still time to put some money away for emergencies. He needs to start job searching ASAP, my DH was job searching when he was still in Afghanistan (so like April/Mayish) and his ETS date was in September. One of the things we also considered was if we need to move or not, depending on what kind of job he wants to do there may be better employment opportunities elsewhere. Also if he is eligible for unemployment.

And I'm sorry but I have a hard time keeping people straight, do you work too? If you consider moving that would be one thing to keep in mind too, if he moves for work are you also going to be able to get a job there, etc.
  3. Senior Member
    I don't know to many who got out without having something lined up. The others either reenlisted or changed branches. It really depended on the job situations for the areas they were returning to.

I would be putting in applications like crazy and check into organizations that help servicemen get civilian jobs. A lot of bases hold recruiting fairs and have help available for resumes etc that he should be able to use.

And if you are not able to secure living space of your own, I would see if their is a friend that you could stay with for a bit of time and pay them for rent etc so you at least have a better living situation.

I wish you both the best of luck.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    DH's decision to not re-enlist was sudden for me too, especially since before then he had told me he planned on going career!

Having a savings account is definitely good for peace of mind ... but you can still work around that, do you have a budget? Even though you only have a few months that is still time to put some money away for emergencies. He needs to start job searching ASAP, my DH was job searching when he was still in Afghanistan (so like April/Mayish) and his ETS date was in September. One of the things we also considered was if we need to move or not, depending on what kind of job he wants to do there may be better employment opportunities elsewhere. Also if he is eligible for unemployment.

And I'm sorry but I have a hard time keeping people straight, do you work too? If you consider moving that would be one thing to keep in mind too, if he moves for work are you also going to be able to get a job there, etc.
    Thank you! My DH has been applying for jobs for the past few days, but hasn't had many leads yet. We definitely do budget, but we have debt. We just bought a 2013 ford, and we're making payments on that, along with small CC payments.

I don't work right now, but will work when we go back to MA. I don't have a babysitter out here, or trust anyone out here in that sense, but at home I have family & friends to leave the baby with. I emailed my old employer yesterday asking if she will have any availability within the next few months. So, we'll see!
  5. Senior Member
    Good luck!
  6. Senior Member
    Good luck! Keep in mind that jobs with medical insurance can be hard to come by, especially if you have limited work experience or more blue collar skills. Since you have a kid, that is an even bigger issue. You may qualify for Cobra, but it is very, very expensive, and I believe the timeframe is limited. You can probably expect to pay at least $500 a month, and likely more than that, to insure your family, unless one of you gets a job with insurance (in which case you'd likely still have a premium share, but it would be far less). Health insurance is probably going to be one of your biggest problems.

If I were you, I'd start applying for jobs ASAP. Even if it means you have to go back before your DH and live with your ILs. It's great that you might have an in with your old job, but while you wait to hear back, I'd apply everywhere you can think of, even if it is fast food or retail. Better something than nothing, and you can always move into something better when it comes along. Unfortunately, you guys are doing this in a time where jobs are hard to come by, and good jobs even harder, so you may have to accept lower paying, lower responsibility jobs and some time with the in-laws until you can move into better jobs. Hopefully it won't come to that, but I'd be prepared for it, especially since you are doing this on such short notice. Better to be mentally prepared and not have to do it, than the other way around.

And if your DH can't find anything, he should qualify for unemployment, assuming he's getting an honorable discharge. It is only based on his base pay amount, but it would be something at least.

Make sure you DH signs up for the classes they give more transitioning members. They will help with resume writing,
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski