Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice about transitioning to civilian life?

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Confused Advice about transitioning to civilian life?

Advertisements
    DF found out today that he will be force-retired this coming July due to his losing 2 ranks. He will be hitting 8 years in at E-4 level so I guess they make you retire? I don't know the technical terms for this. Originally he though they were going to let him stay in anyways but I guess not.

So we're kinda freaking out because July isn't that far away and he really wants to go to college and UCSD's application closes in 29 days!

So, I guess I am looking for general advice about what steps we need to take to do the transition. He does not want to do reserves or guard at all. His parents are pushing him to find a job instead of school but he really wants to go to school. He signed up for the transition seminars thing that they give to active duty but I was hoping someone here would have some other suggestions too!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I don't know much about this, but I wanted to offer some I know it can be stressful! If he wants to go to school, he should go to school Tell him to start looking NOW if he wants to work as well. Does he have an up to date resume?

Also, save money.

3. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    DF found out today that he will be force-retired this coming July due to his losing 2 ranks. He will be hitting 8 years in at E-4 level so I guess they make you retire? I don't know the technical terms for this. Originally he though they were going to let him stay in anyways but I guess not.

So we're kinda freaking out because July isn't that far away and he really wants to go to college and UCSD's application closes in 29 days!

So, I guess I am looking for general advice about what steps we need to take to do the transition. He does not want to do reserves or guard at all. His parents are pushing him to find a job instead of school but he really wants to go to school. He signed up for the transition seminars thing that they give to active duty but I was hoping someone here would have some other suggestions too!
    Are you talking about seps & taps?
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacn View Post
    Are you talking about seps & taps?
    yeah, I think so. I forget all the acronyms. He said they would tell him stuff about the GI Bill and all that.
  5. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    yeah, I think so. I forget all the acronyms. He said they would tell him stuff about the GI Bill and all that.
    I'm pretty sure that's seps & taps. So when Dh did it he did the job finding one. He got a ton of really good information on how to build his resume and look for jobs. His buddy did the education one and he said it was boring and he wished he did the one my Dh did. If your Df has time he can try to go to both.

Maybe he can email the school and explain his situation and maybe he could get an extension for the application.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacn View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's seps & taps. So when Dh did it he did the job finding one. He got a ton of really good information on how to build his resume and look for jobs. His buddy did the education one and he said it was boring and he wished he did the one my Dh did. If your Df has time he can try to go to both.

Maybe he can email the school and explain his situation and maybe he could get an extension for the application.
    Ohh! Asking for an extension is a great idea. Especially since he is on restriction on the boat for 34 more days and doesn't have a way to do a lot of the stuff necessary for the school application. Thanks!
  7. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    The application you might be able to submit online, but if youre in the area going into school in person and explaining everything they will probably waive the fee and get your application together. I'd start putting some savings aside for a few months when he gets out because it could be a while for everything to get switched over. DB just ETS'd and he had soo many classes he had to go to that informed him about getting out of the military and how to get into civilian life. but the biggest thing I can think of is start saving and making plans on housing/school etc.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DF just got out of the navy in Sept. Being in the military is a big part of someone's identity and suddenly being out can feel weird. DF was kinda off and out of it for a good month. He didn't know what to think or do. He felt lost.

My advice there is to just be there emotionally for him. Encourage him and show him ways that's he's more than just a sailor

9. Senior Member
    DO you have a job? Will have be using Post 9/11 GI Bill Pay? If he doesn't work, how will you pay your bills? I would think he could and should do both, even if the work is just part time.

Also, if he misses the application deadline, he can go to a junior college for a semester. GI Bill likely won't be enough to pay for a full Bachelor's degree, so it makes sense to do a semester or 2 at a Junior college first, and to pay for that out of pocket (Community colleges are pretty cheap in CA), and save the BI Bill for the expensive UCSD semesters. Of course, you wouldn't be getting the BAH for that semester (or 2), but you'd save yourself a ton of money in the long run because unless he can graduate in 36 months, you are going to end up paying for a semster or 2 (or more) on your own. A community college is going to be *way* cheaper than a semester at UCSD.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I have no answers or suggestions, jut wishing well that you guys work through this and come out better!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast