Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ETS Date/Civilian Life Transitions?

1. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..

ETS Date/Civilian Life Transitions?

Advertisements
    Halloween
    DB is almost done with the Army. He has to do Reserves for a couple months and Im confused as to how exactly he can switch his location from UT to IA because he'll move in with me after the Holidays. He said he was a bit scared, and I dont blame him. The Army has been his 24/7 attention for the last 7 years. He plans on going back to school and I imagine he wont last long in IA without working because he'll get stir crazy. He has a lot of things he needs to arrange with the VA and submit his claim. I want to try and help ease his transition and adjustment to civilian life but I really dont know how.

What are some things you guys have done to ease this transition for your SO?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    for the reserves they will assign him a unit where ever he will go.

DH is getting out/retiring in 18 months. so we are not there yet, he will start the "fast track" VA stuff when he is about 8-9 months away from getting out since the process can take so long ( up to 2 years).
    he has started making contacts at local federal and city agencies and has started working on his GOV resume and this week started converting his "military education" into civilian Credits. he is trying to get his AA in Business before getting out.

here is great website for ex military and veterans :: https://www.employerpartnership.org/
  3. The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    for the reserves they will assign him a unit where ever he will go.

DH is getting out/retiring in 18 months. so we are not there yet, he will start the "fast track" VA stuff when he is about 8-9 months away from getting out since the process can take so long ( up to 2 years).
    he has started making contacts at local federal and city agencies and has started working on his GOV resume and this week started converting his "military education" into civilian Credits. he is trying to get his AA in Business before getting out.

here is great website for ex military and veterans :: https://www.employerpartnership.org/
    it can take a really long time depending on which VBA you fall into. It will be faster for him in the NWI area than say the Coasts so Im hoping he'll register under the VA here and not in Utah to make it quicker. Plus knowing people at the VA since you work there means you can ensure he has everything he needs filled out. DB did all of the classes for resume building etc. That would be great if your DH got his associate before getting out, it would make his job hunt easier.

Also if he applies to any Government position Veterans have priority and if he has a Service Connected Disability he is at the top of the list. thanks for the link!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    he can actually change pretty easily- DH will start the Process in VA and then switch to our area when he gets out if it is not done.

we are hoping that the VA will have the new systems kinks worked out by the time he gets ready to do start.

also with the GI BILL changes next year it should also make the VA claims process a little faster too.
  5. The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    he can actually change pretty easily- DH will start the Process in VA and then switch to our area when he gets out if it is not done.

we are hoping that the VA will have the new systems kinks worked out by the time he gets ready to do start.

also with the GI BILL changes next year it should also make the VA claims process a little faster too.
    Im hoping so too, I know that we got slammed with issues over the lengthy SC process. Which it seriously is ridiculous how long it was taking, we've been trying for over a year now to get my Grandpa connected. Im super happy he can switch easily, I was worried it would be a long process to change his location.