Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: GI Bill & BAH

1. i fell in love at the jersey shore.
    i fell in love at the jersey shore.

GI Bill & BAH

Advertisements
    So dh has been out for a year, this month. He got home in the middle of a semester so he had to wait til january to use his gi bill. WELL.. the school didn't get paid until april 30. and may 1 we got one big check for back paid- bah. because the VA messed up his paperwork? I'm not sure, they gave us a run around story. NOW this semester, we thought- hopefully everything would be easier because it was his second time doing it, well his disability comes through but no bah on saturday. so after waiting til yesterday (monday) and calling the VA all day, finally getting through, we are told "the va is backed up" and "we're not sure when you'll get it". ???????

has anyone else had these problems with getting their gi bill bah. we NEED it, since he is in school full time and I have a full load with a very small part time job...
  2. Senior Member
    Ours took a couple weeks longer this year than it has the last two years. This is what the school sent out:

Please be advised - We were asked by VA to wait until after the Add/Drop period ends to submit final tuition and fee information so that we may have that time to acquire the most accurate info on both credit hours and final charges (added fees, dropped classes, outside scholarships for tuition and fees, etc.). """

The school still sent in the information needed for the housing and book payment, but those both too longer. It also had all students using the GI Bill sign promissary notes. I think there have been a lot of problems with schools certifying then students dropping classes and resulting money issues between school, VA and students.

The second month's housing was paid out last week, like normal.

Call the school and see when they certified with the VA.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    it is not called BAH-- it is MHA- and it is OCT and they are completely backed up, there was a computer issue that rejected alot of claims,

also remember the MHA is paid in arrears- So if he started back to school in at the end of Aug he would not get any MHA until OCT 1-10 - it will not come on the first every month- but closer to the tenth. but because the new fiscal year has just begun there could be a month delay in getting the MHA.
  4. Senior Member
    We have always gotten it way before the 10th, except for the Aug. payment this year. That one came on Sept 14. The September payment hit the bank last Thursday; it wasn't even Oct yet, much less anywhere near the 10th. It seems some people always get it earlier than others, but I'm not sure what that is based upon, other than a crap shoot.
  5. Senior Member

We still have not received our September payment and neither has anyone in DH's class.

We have a few months where it will come like clockwork and other times it just comes whenever.
  6. Senior Member
    We haven't received the housing stipend or the book money so far. We are on month 3 of paying rent out of pocket. Last year it typically arrived around the 28th of the month give or take a couple days.
  7. Senior Member
    Wow, I feel bad for you all. We have been getting our MHA every month on the 1st without an issue. Our August payment didn't come until about September 7th, but that was the biggest delay we have ever had. Are you able to talk with the VA representative at the school? They might have some more insight into why there are delays.