Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help with pts...

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Blog Entries

Help with pts...

Advertisements
    New here but just wanted to see if anyone had any insight.
    My husband is getting out In may. He is an hm3 and his pts was denied.
    I am freaking out over how we are going to live. We have 4 children.

The option we have discussed is him getting out, going reserve, and going to school full time. So we would get the bah, reserve pay would cover health insurance, and the gi bill for school.
    I'm terrified with everything I've been hearing about the delays people have been experiencing with the bah and gi bill payments.

The other option which hubby is very very much not wanting to do is the voluntary sea duty program.

Does anyone have experience, negative or positive, to share?

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    My cousin got her PTS approved by volunteering for sea duty. She really wanted to stay in though and had 8 years in already at the time. She also got the PCS to the east coast that she wanted. She did deploy within weeks of her PCS with a baby at home though which was kind of a bummer, but also just part of Navy life it seems.

I'd be scared too. What else would you do for money if he got out? The GI Bill in most areas of the country isn't enough to live on even with the BAH and with 4 kids I'm sure you have a lot of expenses. Is he getting a severance package? Good luck!
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Blog Entries
    No sep. package since he's only done 5 years when he will get out. I don't know what to do! I am in school and will not have a degree by then. At all.
  4. Moderator

Why doesn't he want to do the voluntary sea duty program? It's a great option for those that want to stay in.
  5. Senior Member
    whats his reasoning for getting out vs reenlisting?
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

6. Banned
    Banned
    with the MHA ( it is not BAH but a monthly housing allowance) it is paid only while attending school, so for instance if he is out for 2 weeks for winter break you will only get 2 weeks worth of MHA.

if he does not attend full time he will not get full MHA, if he goes to online classes only he will not get the full MHA. also MHA is based on the location of the school NOT where you live. this can be a huge difference. and it is at the e5 with dep rate for everyone.

before going reserves, he needs to find out if because he will be a student if that would make him non-deployable or if he would have to remain in deployable status. And what you will do if he gets out, joins the reserves and gets deployed the month or two later?

the tricare is 196 a month for tricare reserve select, but it is like tricare standard and you will have out of pocket costs 10-15% for each dr visit or er visit or urgent care visit ect.

he may be elegible for unemployment tho and this would be a huge help.
    but this is about 50% of his BASE PAY, so if he is earning 2500 for base pay he will get about 1250 for unemployment.

I don't understand why he does not want to do the sea duty and stay in knowing you have 4 kids and you are still in school.....
  7. Senior Member
    With 4 kids to take care of, it seems like the responsible decision is the sea duty plan.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski