Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This G.I Bill gives me a headache

1. Senior Member

This G.I Bill gives me a headache

Advertisements
    We get a letter in the mail today telling us our BAH for the GI Bill has been increased to $1080. Too bad we were getting $1215 last year! They are basing that increase off of a BAH of $972 last year. I have NO idea how they got that number- the BAH for an E-5 with dependents in our area was not that low, at all. I am so freaking sick and tired of this. Every time we turn around, the VA has messed up tuition or housing allowance payments. I would love for just one month to go smoothly.

BAH was supposed to increase to $1315 this year. That's almost a $300 difference between what were were expecting, and what they just told us we are getting!

2. Senior Member
    That doesn't even make sense. I hope you plan on calling them.

We're still in the process of getting DH's switched over, but most of the issues are the re-enlistment office doesn't like to work here.
  3. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    I agree the GI Bill is a headache! We are trying to get ahold of the VA to change the address they are sending checks to, but every time we call we get the automated "the next time a call is available is (insert date later in the week/month), please stay on the line if you would like this" message, but then we get disconnected.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    is your school in the same zip code as you live?

the MHA is based on the zip code of the school, NOT your home address.
  5. Senior Member
    No, but the MAH is the same for the whole area, I've checked that. We received $1215 this whole past year; according to the BAH calculator, it is supposed to go up to $1350. The letter we got stated that our BAH was increasing from "$972 to $1080" which makes NO sense, at all.

the only thing I can think of is that he was getting 80% BAH for the last two months, because he wasn't taking a full summer course load for the second half. THAT pay was $972, but that shouldn't be what they base the increase off of. I'm hoping it was just a clerical error. This wasn't the offical "here's what we are paying your school, here's what we are paying you;" just a notice of BAH increase. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't know that wasn't the full BAH, though. I dunno.

Of course, DH won't call to verify that we aren't getting screwed, so I just have to wait until the first to see WTF we are getting. It just drives me nuts. They constantly overpay, then underpay, pay the school too much but make US get a refund from the school and then pay the VA back, etc. It's like they find the most difficult way ever to do things, and go with that.

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by AwwSnail; 10-27-2012 at 08:03 PM.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    $1080 is 80% of $1350..

I think once he shows he is now going full time you'll get the full amount.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    $1080 is 80% of $1350..

I think once he shows he is now going full time you'll get the full amount.
    I hope so. The letter stated it was based on 100% pay and full-time enrollment, but it could have just been a stock letter and they input whatever his most recent pay had been. We've had issues with the VA liason at his school messing up paperwork. I think part of it is, we are now a week into the semester and we still haven't gotten the breakdown of what the VA is paying...I always get real nervous with the military and government, because I've had too many experiences of them messing up pay.

9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

We are dealing with the Post 9-11 stuff.... They are taking FOREVER to even start paying for anything even his books. We JUST saw money, finally today in our bank account, for the books he has already paid for since he started his classes August 20(Happy we are seeing the money finally, but it makes things tight when over $400 we didn't plan on spending had to be spent.). We are still waiting for a good amount of money the Navy owes him/said he'd be getting since he was involuntarily, honorably discharged. .....
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. Senior Member
    Yeah, we haven't seen the book money yet. That was out of pocket, too. I get that they fund a LOT of people and it's a time-consuming process, but it's just ridiculous sometimes. The VA overpaid his school $400/ the school overcharged them. So the VA demands WE pay them back their money. Money we never saw. It was apparently our responsibility to call the school, have the school issue US a refund, and then write a check to the VA. WTF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast