Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to active.

1. Senior Member

Going back to active.

Advertisements
    My DF officially got out of the Army in February of this year. He is currently in the National Guard for 2 years. He hates it, and I mean loathes it because its only one weekend a month. He is also having trouble finding a job that he wants. He was going to try to go through the Police Academy, that just doesn't seem to be working for him. He is contemplating going back to active duty in the Army. Now I know very little about the military workings, but wouldn't he have to finish his contract with the National Guard first? Also how hard is it to go back into the Army after being honorably discharged?

Thanks
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have heard of people going active even with an NG contract but I don't know the ins and outs of doing it.

As for getting back into the Army, I believe that also depends on a lot of things including his MOS. DH ETS'd after his first four years and after a year decided to get back in. He said he didn't have much trouble, but I guess his MOS was in demand at the time. Also this was in 2008, so things may have changed some since then too.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    he would need to get released from his guard contract. he needs to talk to a recruiter, he or she can help walk him thru the process.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    he would need to get released from his guard contract. he needs to talk to a recruiter, he or she can help walk him thru the process.
    Yeah he knows what he is doing, he was going to think on it some more and then call one. I was just trying to get more info for myself.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Dh said as of now the only option an Army recruiter can give prior service is special forces. It doesn't matter what his previous job was. I don't know however if he goes down to MEPS and his old job was shortage if they might consider changing it, but I wouldn't count on it.

ETA: It's been that way for months actually, I just wanted to confirm with him that that is still how it was.
  6. Senior Member
    I hope it works out. I know it's a complex process.
  7. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    My husband was told that he could put in paper work to switch from guard to active after 6 months of being back from AIT.
    He was told nothing of only being able to be special forces.
    He was told that if he had enlisted 1st with active but not from switching guard to active.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Oops.I thought I put I wasn't sure how it would work with changing from national guard, but that must have been in the one I was going to post before I decided to wait for DH to text me back with newest info.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CandiLynn View Post
    Dh said as of now the only option an Army recruiter can give prior service is special forces. It doesn't matter what his previous job was. I don't know however if he goes down to MEPS and his old job was shortage if they might consider changing it, but I wouldn't count on it.

ETA: It's been that way for months actually, I just wanted to confirm with him that that is still how it was.
    All this stuff just makes my head spin.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Did I explain it poorly? I suck at explaining things sometimes.

Basically, what I was saying is if he wants to go active, in general prior service can ONLY go special forces. So he can't go in and say "I want to be an MP (or whatever his job is/was).

However, Whiskeygirl said that her husband was told different because it's switching from guard to active, so they may have different rules.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast