Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going reserves

1. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries

Going reserves

Advertisements
    My DH will be going into the reserves in February (kinda against his will, but they won't let him stay active duty in the Navy).

I don't know what to expect. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? We're talking about moving out of state which is something I really want to do. And he's possibly thinking of finding a job at a power plant somewhere in the states.

But as far as that goes, it's all jsut speculation as to what we're going to do after he gets out. I'm just confused and don't know much.
  2. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    can anyone give me *any* info please?
  3. Senior Member
    I'd like to know about this too. Curious just because I see it being a possibility in our future if DH isn't allowed to stay in either.
  4. Go Ducks!
    Go Ducks!
    Can't really help. I just know I hear that power plants love navy nukes. But best wishes

5. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

DH is army reserve which I know is different but basically he reports to his unit every month for 2 days and then 2 weeks each summer. He has to be within driving distance of his unit's location is the only stipulation really. Other than that you can live where you want. You would have to pay to get Reserve Tricare if you wanted it.

It's pretty low key. Pretty much a civi life - a couple days a month. Unless the unit deploys then it's like AD.

DH loves his unit but is hoping to go AD ASAP.
  6. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisByzantineLove View Post
    DH is army reserve which I know is different but basically he reports to his unit every month for 2 days and then 2 weeks each summer. He has to be within driving distance of his unit's location is the only stipulation really. Other than that you can live where you want. You would have to pay to get Reserve Tricare if you wanted it.

It's pretty low key. Pretty much a civi life - a couple days a month. Unless the unit deploys then it's like AD.

DH loves his unit but is hoping to go AD ASAP.
    Thank you for the info
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    When I asked DH about it when he was looking into becoming either Active or Inactive reserve he linked me this site and told me it'd explain it better then he could..... -> America's Navy Reserve - A Global Force for Good: NavyReserve.com

Here is there "Frequently asked Questions section that helped answer a few on my question.
    Frequently Asked Questions: NavyReserve.com

Not sure how much that helps I'm confused myself still DH has no option but to join the reserves himself. He has to try and join in order to get his full severance pay it's not even an option unless he only wants half of the severance pay.....

DH is doing inactive and then going to school full time. He doesn't even have to show up just sign in on a computer to show he's still alive with being inactive,but he'll only get a little money from it Active gets paid more. DH like I said is just doing it because he has too if he wants all the money they'll pay him. With Active Reserves your DH can possibly deploy from what I understand, but it's not going to be anywhere near like being Active Navy. (From what DH said they realty Deploy and you can pretty much live wherever. I know for DH they are paying to move us to his hometown. )

Oh and for Tricare according to DH (he looked into it) if we want to keep that once he's out of the Navy just for DH, DD, and I it'd cost us about $600 a MONTH. Hell no
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Hottie. View Post
    Thank you for the info
    Welcome

Also as a Reservist he can obtain his GI Bill for School which will pay you guys anywhere from 250 up a month. DH gets like 550 a month for going to school.

If he has deployed before he will get Post 911 so he should get BAH pay from it.
  9. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    When I asked DH about it when he was looking into becoming either Active or Inactive reserve he linked me this site and told me it'd explain it better then he could..... -> America's Navy Reserve - A Global Force for Good: NavyReserve.com

Here is there "Frequently asked Questions section that helped answer a few on my question.
    Frequently Asked Questions: NavyReserve.com

Not sure how much that helps I'm confused myself still DH has no option but to join the reserves himself. He has to try and join in order to get his full severance pay it's not even an option unless he only wants half of the severance pay.....

DH is doing inactive and then going to school full time. He doesn't even have to show up just sign in on a computer to show he's still alive with being inactive,but he'll only get a little money from it Active gets paid more. DH like I said is just doing it because he has too if he wants all the money they'll pay him. With Active Reserves your DH can possibly deploy from what I understand, but it's not going to be anywhere near like being Active Navy.

Oh and for Tricare according to DH (he looked into it) if we want to keep that once he's out of the Navy just for DH, DD, and I it'd cost us about $600 a MONTH. Hell no
    Thanks, I'll look at that site now!

Sorry your Tricare is sooo expensive! We don't have a kid and I'm his only dependent so I think it won't be too much.
  10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hottie. View Post
    Thanks, I'll look at that site now!

Sorry your Tricare is sooo expensive! We don't have a kid and I'm his only dependent so I think it won't be too much.
    No problem!

Well for DH alone it'd be like $200 a month(somewhere in that ball park he told me before he left I know it made me tel him no we'll find something cheaper). I had pretty good medical for DD and I threw the insurance Petsmart uses for their employs and only paid $75 a month for moth of us. That including dental even and my copay to take DD or myself to the doctor was only $10. So I know for a fact we can get WAY cheaper and MUCH better dental courage for cheaper.

Then with tricare dental coverage getting a tooth or two pulled can cost someone $200-$500 depending where they go. I got three teeth pulled, caps put on my front teeth, and a cavity filled for less then $80 before I married DH on the coverage I had threw work. To me it's not worth keeping heck I haven't used the dental sense we got .

If you DH's contract running out or is he being cut? If he were being cut depedning on the reasons why and everything he'd get to keep tricare for both of you up to 6months before y'all ad to pay for it. At least for DH that is how it's working for him sense he's got a clean record and is only being cut because he was missing some pin he needed so it made him a bottom runner...
    Signature removed due to size.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast