Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs after the military

1. Home is where the army sends us
    Home is where the army sends us

Jobs after the military

Advertisements
    Has anyone gotten a job after the military or know someone who has?

DH will be out on the 27th & has been applying on usajobs.gov but right now that seems to be pretty fruitless. We are trying to think of civilian options. So far we have come up with CSX railroad & Corporate Walmart.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    This is a tough time right now for finding work. When you are applying on USA jobs you are one of 100's applying for the same job and you have to hope your resume gets picked up. You just have to do your leg work, search all the websites, job sites, and network on base with contractor companies. He needs to give his resume to people and ask them to pass it on. It's not impossible to find work, just takes lots of time, effort and patience.

Hopefully you've saved up about 3-6 months worth of pay to get by while he's job hunting. That helps immensely.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  3. skp
    The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    What kind of job does/did he have in the Army?

I have no real advice but I'm because DB will be leaving the Army in May.

br33 is my professional deployment twin
    starsinthesky is my PAL
  4. Banned
    Banned
    jobs are hard to come by-

my neighbor retired - after 24 yrs AD and he is working at Lowes in the paint dept making 14 bucks an hour- he is lucky he has his retirement.

he has been looking for something better for 2 yrs and nothing.
  5. Regular Member
    Has your husband looked through this listing of the top 100 employers of veterans?

G.I. Jobs 2011 Top 100 Military Friendly Employers

I recommend going to each and everyone of these companies websites and looking at the jobs listed on their webpage.
  6. Senior Member
    We know a good number of people who are out and got jobs, but it completely depends on what they did in the military.

It's a very bad time to be looking for work, unfortunately, so if I were him, I'd be applying for basically any paying job. If that means Home Depot or pizza delivering, at least it is money coming in while he continues ot look for something better.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What is he hoping to do? That is going to have a lot to do with the best way to complete his job search, etc.
    DH retired last year. He had a job lined up before he left the military - that job lasted for all of four months and he was laid off. He was without work for a little over four months and FINALLY found a job, working part-time at WalMart. Sure, it was a job, but 24 hours a week at $7 an hour was NOT cutting it and he was unhappy as hell with the job itself, he stuck it out only long enough to find something, ANYTHING, else. He started working for the state about five months later and has been there for six months now - he is employed with the Dept. of Veteran's Affairs. Overall, it took nine months total of searching to find the job he has now.
    I know that here in this state the DWD (unemployment/employment office) has what they call "Veteran's liason" on staff at the regional offices (in fact, that is one of the jobs DH interviewed for, he was offered it the same week he was offered the job he has now). If this is something done nationwide, that would be a resource your SO could reach out to where he will be looking for work.
    One key thing is to think outside the box, if necessary, in making the military skills and experiences have applications to jobs outside of the military. I hear so many military people talk about how you can't put "blow stuff up" on a resume as a skill....but you can use time spent as a team leader, etc as "experience supervising xx number of persons", etc. Look at the specific things involved in the military experience and then find the words to make that applicable to the types of jobs he is trying to obtain. Most military members gain, for example, the ability to multi-task, ability to meet/exceed deadlines, verbal communication skills, are highly adaptable, work well under pressure, etc.
    Networking can be a big help too. About a year before DH retired, I was in a training for my own work where one of the speakers was there from our state's Homeland Security office. In the course of his presentation, he had mentioned being former Navy. After the training we had the opportunity to visit - the conversation came around to how he had transitioned from AD to the job he had now and I mentioned my husband, etc. He gave me his card and told me to pass his info on to DH. It gave DH one more *foot in the door*. When DH put in for the job he is currently working, our friend who works in the same location but in the Corrections dept. put in a good word for DH with the person who would be doing the interviewing/hiring.
  8. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'll be stalking this thread. Dh gets out in May. We have a few options, but it's nerve racking.
  10. Proud Navy Wife and mommy of 3
    Proud Navy Wife and mommy of 3
    My husband got out a Year ago and is still looking but in the mean time hes taking advantage of his GI Bill Post 911 and going to school.... also depending on your state look into unemployment benefits my husband qualified for them out here in San Diego
    Mommy to Jocelyn, Jazmine (angel baby), Jayson (My Angel in the sky)and Jacquelyn
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast