Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DB having a rough time

1. Senior Member

Nutts DB having a rough time

Advertisements
    My DB got out of the military on Oct 26th, and we've already had the descussion that he may want to go back in. It's so hard to find a job, especially where we live. He's so stressed out and I think really missing the military, it's been all he's known for the last 6 years.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can say/do to help him? If he decides to re-join, I'll support him and stay by his side, I'm just scared cause of what his last 2 deploymens have done to him. He's decided that if by christmas he doesn't have a job he'll be rejoining. I just don't know how to ease his stress about not having a job right now...

any advice would be fantastic,
    A second chance at happiy ever after
  2. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Has he taken advantage of his local career services? Accessed VA resources? Transition to civilian life is very challenging - I can't even remember all the services available any more.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but you also may need to be prepared for the possibility he can't re-enlist.

ing this so hopefully others will have some advice.
  3. Senior Member
    I hope he can figure something out. Has he looked at using his GI bill? Maybe trying ROTC with it? They get a lot of the military aspects of life while going to school and getting a commission.

I agree with Sunbeam that its pretty hard to be allowed to re-enlist for all the branches. Unless he had a special MOS I wouldn't really think of it as a viable option. He could go reserves or guard though.

Sorry he's having a rough time with transition.
  4. Gonna Be Alright.
    Gonna Be Alright.
    Sending you a ton of

My DH is in a similar situation, only he is National Guard. When he was trying to find a job we just had to be patient. It took my DH nearly 3 months to get a job and at this moment it's only temporary. He has really been thinking about trying to go full time National Guard.

I hope that you're DH is either able to find a job or be able to re-enlist.
  5. Senior Member
    Maybe contact someone in veterans affairs to see if they have any advice or can offer support. I've heard of them even helping with job placements sometimes.
    No more countdown! He's home!!

"We don't cry because we are weak, but because we have been strong for too long"
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll sit down and talk to him about a few of the options yall recomended. He's transfered into the guard for now, but he says he set it up so he can re-enlist if he wants to? (not really sure what he means by that, but yeah). Anyways, thanks for the advice guys, I just hope he can get through right now, cause he's having a terrible time and getting pretty depressed.
    A second chance at happiy ever after
  7. Senior Member
    do you still live near a base? he could get a job there even if its just temporary. At least it will be some place he's familiar with
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaFarfalla View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll sit down and talk to him about a few of the options yall recomended. He's transfered into the guard for now, but he says he set it up so he can re-enlist if he wants to? (not really sure what he means by that, but yeah). Anyways, thanks for the advice guys, I just hope he can get through right now, cause he's having a terrible time and getting pretty depressed.