Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm scared. (a couple questions)

1. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥

I'm scared. (a couple questions)

Advertisements
    DH has officially made up his mind not to re-enlist. It's really scary, I won't lie. This whole time him and I both thought this was his career. But he's learned quickly he doesn't want this anymore. I'm proud of my husband for everything he has accomplished these last few years and I just want him to be happy more than anything. It's just scary going into an economy like this after living with the military benefits for so long.

We have already talked with my parents and they want us to live with them for a while. Not only will this benefit us (we won't have to worry about finding a place to stay!), it will benefit them also. My mom was saying how she thinks having a younger couple around the house will be so nice, especially during the winter months when we can help with shoveling the snow

Does anyone have any advice? I'm honestly so nervous about this. It will be happening soon.

Does anyone know how health care works after active duty? Will they stop it right away or will they give us some time?

And...WORST CASE SCENARIO... if DH doesn't get any of the jobs he is applying for, is unemployment an option? I know my husband is being smart, he's talking to family and friends about positions already, but I just want to be prepared. I will probably be finding a random job and also going to school.

Thanks for anyone who listened/helps. It's a pretty scary time for us but I think everything will be okay.

2. Senior Member
    I don't have any advice but I have lots of
  3. Banned
    Banned
    This is only from AFN, but I believe there is a 90 day transition program from Tricare. You should look into it
  4. You are here.
    You are here.
    i think with tricare coverage it may be automatically terminated. It depends on what tricare will do, i would honestly call and ask. They may do the ninety day transition if there is a medical reason or condition that you would need for meds and treatment until you get other medical insurance coverage. but good luck.

and yes i think unemployment is a possibility once he gets out. you may have to search but there have been a few threads on that issue. good luck OP. it may be scary but there's been a few million who have done this before. you two may have to budget and work until you both get both feet on the ground.
  5. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

6. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Thanks guys. It's scary and I know we will find our answers, I'm trying to mentally perpare myself as much as I can right now.

7. Senior Member
    Just make sure he starts job hunting as soon as he can--before he's even out. He can send resumes even if he isn't available right away (though a giant gap wouldn't be smart). He's going to have to be extremely aggressive so I'd do my best to make sure he know this job hunt is going to be like going to war and that he won't have time to slack off even a little bit.

Can you move home early and look for a job for yourself in the area so you have a head start? Also, it isn't too early to start looking in to health insurance plans. This is going to be a major, major expense, so the more research you can do to find the best option for yourselves, the better. Or even better than that would be you going home ASAP and finding a job with benefits, if you can.

Make sure he signs up for his TAP class (or whatever it is called in his branch) as soon as he can. They give tons of info about resume writing and job searches and a bunch of other stuff.
  8. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Just make sure he starts job hunting as soon as he can--before he's even out. He can send resumes even if he isn't available right away (though a giant gap wouldn't be smart). He's going to have to be extremely aggressive so I'd do my best to make sure he know this job hunt is going to be like going to war and that he won't have time to slack off even a little bit.

Can you move home early and look for a job for yourself in the area so you have a head start? Also, it isn't too early to start looking in to health insurance plans. This is going to be a major, major expense, so the more research you can do to find the best option for yourselves, the better. Or even better than that would be you going home ASAP and finding a job with benefits, if you can.

Make sure he signs up for his TAP class (or whatever it is called in his branch) as soon as he can. They give tons of info about resume writing and job searches and a bunch of other stuff.
    Will the Army pay to send me home if I wanted to go earlier? If anyone knows that would be great. However I do have dogs as well, so I don't know how that will work.

Thanks for the advice.

9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I believe you can keep Tricare for 6 months, but you have to pay a certain amount, not sure so I'd ask Tricare just to get your options. It may even be to where he gets to keep the insurance but you do not. Health insurance is probably going to be the biggest expense you will incur after he gets out.

While living with parents is nice, I wouldn't do it for long. I would do it just long enough to get on your feet.

I tell people who are looking to get out that the salary the military member needs to come close to making what they make in the military is about double maybe even triple what their take home pay is. While their base pay may be low, they do get allowances and 'free' health care. When looking for a civilian job one has to account for the allowances and health care costs. Those two alone are extremely high in the civilian world. Getting a job with a salary equivalent to just base pay will not work, because 1/2 of that will go to health insurance and housing costs (rent or mortgage and utilities).

He can collect unemployment, he'll have to go to the unemployment office in whatever state (usually the HOR).

Good luck. It won't be easy.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    Will the Army pay to send me home if I wanted to go earlier? If anyone knows that would be great. However I do have dogs as well, so I don't know how that will work.

Thanks for the advice.
    I don't think they'll buy your ticket until he has orders. But I've known several people here who returned as soon as their husband had orders, sometimes months before he did, and the Navy did pay at that point.

You could also look into and ERD (Early Return of Dependents), which would mean they move all of your stuff home. I'm not sure about whether or not they'd pay for the ticket home, or other details of ERD, but my understanding is that your DH would stop getting dependent COLA (he'd still get COLA, but just the single rate), and you'd start getting BAH for your new location. It can get tricky if he lives off base. If you are interested, maybe someone here knows more if you start a thread about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast