Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help with possible early out?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Help Help with possible early out?

Advertisements
    I don't know if this is in the right spot so feel free to move, please, if it isn't. I don't even know if this is a possibility but can you get out of the military early? As in a couple months early. Are there requirements? Also, Do you ever get a definate date of when you're getting out? TIA
  2. Senior Member
    The service member should have an ETS date (estimated termination of service). It should be on their orders. It may state it as a number of days to serve rather than an exact date.

Most of the time you can't get out early. There are some exceptions:

Sometimes if there is a hardship you can leave early (family member needs care etc) but this is subject to the members command and his MOS and how much he is needed for the job they are in.

If they are going to join the guard after they get out they will occasionally allow them to leave and finish their time in the guard (seldom happens)

Occasionally they will to meet a start date of a training school also subject to the command.

If they have leave saved up, they can use that at the end of their time as Terminal Leave. This means they can out process and then take "vacation time" until their ETS date. So conceivably they could be on paid leave for that time period which could be as much as 2 months.

But those are the only ways my dh can think of at this moment.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Thank you! He knows he gets out at the end of 2012 but I was looking for a more specific date.
  4. Senior Member
    Tell him to look at his orders. It should have an estimated ETS date. I know on deployment orders it states it as a number of days (ie 346 days) for the army. Not sure for orders for the Marines
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. Senior Member
    Oh and I think the ETS date may be on his LES (Leave and Earnings Statement)
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Tell him to look at his orders. It should have an estimated ETS date. I know on deployment orders it states it as a number of days (ie 346 days) for the army. Not sure for orders for the Marines
    ok. will do. thanks again
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Ok so he just told me he gets out feb. 10, 2013 but he'll have 45 days of terminal leave.
  8. Senior Member
    So Dec 28 would start his terminal leave if I counted correctly.
  9. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessym View Post
    Ok so he just told me he gets out feb. 10, 2013 but he'll have 45 days of terminal leave.
    Do you know what Fiscal Year he drops into? They've offered the Early Out for the past two fiscal years, and the directive hasn't been released for FY12. DB is sure they won't offer it, because the Corps is getting too small, but they still might. Some people think they will. Keep an eye out for that.

I think he's in FY13 though.