Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?s about using gi bill after out of military.

1. Senior Member

Confused ?s about using gi bill after out of military.

Advertisements
    My husband is getting out this year2011 ... He wants to use his gi bill to go to school while working. My ? Is will he get money for books out of this as well as bah assistance while going to school? Does he only qualify for these things if he is going full time? How much will he get? Any response will be helpful.
  2. Senior Member
    I know there is a good website as a resource for this, i'll try and find it.

I know you get full in-state tuition, plus bah of an e5 (I'm pretty sure), plus i think there is book assistance.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. Senior Member
    Here is the website: Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

If your husband paid into the original GI bill then he will receive that in addition to the post 9/11 GI bill.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Here is the website: Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

If your husband paid into the original GI bill then he will receive that in addition to the post 9/11 GI bill.

this is not true- it is one or the other- the Post 9/11 bill pays BAH at the E5 single rate for the location of the brick and mortar school, and the book stipend is 1,000 dollars a yr.
    yes he has to go fulltime to get the BAH.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    this is not true- it is one or the other- the Post 9/11 bill pays BAH at the E5 single rate for the location of the brick and mortar school, and the book stipend is 1,000 dollars a yr.
    Thank you for correcting me. I wasn't exactly sure how it worked if you had contributed to both, is the original GI bill maybe more beneficial?
    Sorry for my error OP.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    This is true. My DH is using it now. Don't you also need to be in
    a certain number of years to qualify for the Post 911 benefits?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decks89 View Post
    This is true. My DH is using it now. Don't you also need to be in
    a certain number of years to qualify for the Post 911 benefits?
    I thought it was just that you had to be in after 9/11, and the time you had to be active is less than a year, i'm pretty sure.
  8. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    yes your BAH is based on how many years you have been in .... take DH has been in for 12 years in May... he qualifies for the full 36 months of E5 BAH.

But you must know if you are in the Montgomery GI Bill you will not get the 1,200.00 that you (MM) paid in 1st year of service. If you switch to the Post 9/11 bill you will recieve it... but only having either A) exausting your benifits or B) Graduating with a degree.

I just switched DH to the Post 9/11 GI Bill back in September and got the approval letter back from the VA stating the benifits he is approved for back around the end of Octoberish
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  9. Senior Member
    Thank you for all the input! The website is a huge help. Were going to go in to education services next week so we can get specifics laid out about our situation.
  10. Senior Member
    Everyone gets E-5 with dependents BAH. Doesn't matter what rank you go out as.

The only major time stipulation is for transferring it to dependents.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast