Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Medboard

1. Regular Member

Medboard

Advertisements
    I found out last week that DH is being Medboard'ed. I'm scared to death about our life after he gets out. I'm excited that he is, he will be here for the birth of our daughter and won't have to miss anything. However, it is going to be really hard. Thanks to our car loan company we have no savings and we scrape by each month it seems like.
    1) Does any one know how much on average (if there is an average) he will be getting for disability?
    2) How much we can sell our leave days for, he is an Army E-5 with over 6 years in, possibly over 8 years by the time that we actually get the final papers.
    3) Will I continue to have healthcare for my prenatal visits (because it is a "pre-existing condition")?
    4) About how long does the paper work and what not take?
    Anyway, I'm really happy he is getting out, so I don't have to be alone anymore and have to raise our daughter alone, but I am so scared of the civilian world. Any advice at all would be more than welcomed. Thank you very much in advance.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel2007 View Post
    I found out last week that DH is being Medboard'ed. I'm scared to death about our life after he gets out. I'm excited that he is, he will be here for the birth of our daughter and won't have to miss anything. However, it is going to be really hard. Thanks to our car loan company we have no savings and we scrape by each month it seems like.
    1) Does any one know how much on average (if there is an average) he will be getting for disability? this will depend on what the VA decides to give him, and what the med board is for
    2) How much we can sell our leave days for, he is an Army E-5 with over 6 years in, possibly over 8 years by the time that we actually get the final papers.leave days will be for BASE PAY ONLY, you will not get any other allowances if you sell it back.
    3) Will I continue to have healthcare for my prenatal visits (because it is a "pre-existing condition")?this depends on the typr of discharge- if he is going to get a severance you can keep your benefits for 180 days- if he is generally disharged you can get Cobra for 180 days but this is hugely expensive and is for 180 days also
    4) About how long does the paper work and what not take?can take as little as a month or upwards to 6 months
    Anyway, I'm really happy he is getting out, so I don't have to be alone anymore and have to raise our daughter alone, but I am so scared of the civilian world. Any advice at all would be more than welcomed. Thank you very much in advance.no advice but Good luck.
  3. Regular Member

Disability from the VA is almost exclusively based on what they decide after looking at his medical records and doing their own exams. The percentage given by the military just determines if it's a medical discharge or medical retirement. Make sure he saves every piece of paper from his military medical records, the med board and any records from civilian doctors as it will also be evidence when trying to get compensation from the VA.

The actually med board process isn't that long. I want to say it took me about 6 months from when the process started to when I was doing my final out-processing from the Army. The VA compensation decision took awhile, though. Maybe a year. Make sure he gets that in as soon as his ETS date passes so it can get started. As long as he applies for it within the first 6 months or year (sorry can't remember which) they'll backdate the payment to his ETS. After that time period they backdate it to whenever he filed.

He'll also get a severance when he leaves the Army because it's medical. Base pay x time in service x 2. They usually take about 25% for taxes, but you'll get a chunk of that back.
  4. Senior Member
    With the VA, it all depends on how much disability they give him. DH is going through the process with the VA right now and it could be several more months until he gets his rating (he got medically separated at the end of September). He get a good severance pay, $12,000 before taxes (after it was about 10,000). The military also paid for our move back to Texas. I know he had about 30 days of leave saved up, but I don't remember how much he got paid. DH was an E-4 with a little over 4 years in and a 20% disability rating from the USMC for shin splints/stress fractures. We were told that the VA usually gives a higher rating than the USMC. Also, DH was able to file for some other problems that he got during his time in service (hearing problems, back problems, etc).About medical coverage, we have Tricare for 180 days following his discharge. He started the process of the med board in March I believe and was out the last week of September. They gave him his new EAS date the first week of September, so 3 weeks to get ready to leave.
  5. Regular Member
    All of this is so helpful, thank you.
    He is doing his physical today along with a couple of other things, so I am assuming that the out-process has started. I'm really hoping to stay in to January, that will put him at 8 years plus his clothing allowance. You girls have given me a little hope.
    The fact that he is getting out has sunk in a little better and I am getting more and more excited that I won't have to say good-bye to him for years at a time every again! Instead of being scared out of my mind about what is going to happen to us after he gets out.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    DH was medboarded out in February. It took him about 4 months to find a job, but he worked with Bradley-Morris (they are job recruiters who specifically work with former military).
    He did get a really nice seperation pay out of it. He gets $123 a month from the VA for 20% rating on his injury.
    We were given base/NEX/comissary priveleges until Feb 2011 so we can "transition" and we had to apply for the 6 month Tricare extension but we qualified and it was a blessing!
    It used to be housing would let you stay in for 6mths after his release date and you just pay BAH, but they changed that. We were allowed 2 months before they booted us out with 10 days notice.
    Let me know if you have any questions. Its a lot to process but I'll give you what info/experience we had with it this year.
  7. Senior Member

There is always the possibility too that they could "Medically Retire" him. If that happens...he will get a retirement check for life and both of you will have medical as well.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decks View Post
    There is always the possibility too that they could "Medically Retire" him. If that happens...he will get a retirement check for life and both of you will have medical as well.
    I'm not sure they will if he's only been in for 6 years though...

9. there is no place like home
    there is no place like home

Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    I'm not sure they will if he's only been in for 6 years though...
    It depends on the injury too. One of my friends from high school got a Medical Retirement last year, he had 4 years Active Duty Army when he retired and 2 years Active Duty for Marines. He was severly injured in OIF and took him 2 years to finally get out after his injury.

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It depends on how badly he is injured to get medical retirement. DH needed 30% rating for his injuries to be "retired" and he only got 20%. According to his dr that 30% is extremely rare and you're more likely to be abducted by aliens than get it