Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Any advice?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Any advice?

Advertisements
    So my DB is a Veteran (AF) and he is in the reserves. He has been working as a civilian on base and doing his reserves time while looking for a job as a teacher. He hasn't had any luck. He's been really down about it and I'm being supportive every way I know how... I guess I'd like to hear your experiences to better help him deal. He wants to be "doing something important" and feels he's not anymore (when he's working his non-AF job that is not teaching). I'm not sure what percent upset he is about not being able to teach (after working so hard in school for his degree) and what percent is missing active duty. Any thoughts on the whole thing? Your situation? Thanks
    Last edited by lavender_jane; 11-24-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added some
  2. Senior Member
    Could he possibly go back AD if that's what he misses? I kind of worry about this situation when DH retires in 7 years.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He could, I'm pretty sure. I don't exactly know how it works. It's just that he spent all that time in school to become a teacher because that was his way of transistioning to something else he feels is important. I don't think he's ready to give up on that. In the meantime he's in this weird limbo and he feels useless even when he's working a job. It's not taking over his life or anything but it bothers him. I just don't know how to help him get used to life outside of AD.

FTR I am supportive of him going back in if that's what he wants. I assume it would be normal to feel the way he does but he's the only vet I know (really well anyway) from his generation.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    wow, that's cool. i'm an AF vet, too, and I'm using my GI Bill to earn my teaching degree. How many years did he do in the AF? Is he doing that Troops to Teacher program? He might want to look into that. I know you have to have had at least 6 years in service to qualify. I only did 3 years because mine was a medical discharge But,.. oh well.

I have this HUMUNGOUS guilt issue w/only doing 3 years even though it was medical and out of my control,...but then again, I found out I was pregnant literally the weekend after I separated from the AF. So, I do believe things happen for a reason.

Has he also considered getting a government related job for working at DODDS schools on base? That could be an option as well. All my best to him and hope that something turns up for him soon!!!!

Tracey